ONTAP Discussions

Snapmirror license

MJABER

Dear all

My snap mirror license the trial one has been expired and we are planning to purchase a license ant at the same time the company in about to upgrade the Netapp controller , in such case if we brought the license now for this controller alter on once we have done the upgrade we will be able to transfer the license  ?

Otherwise what is the proper procedure to do in such case !

Thanks 

4 REPLIES 4

aborzenkov

You always need licenses associated with controller serial number to remain compliant. Starting with 8.2 licenses are also physically tied to serial number, so after head swap you have 60 days of grace period during which you must install matching licenses.

MJABER

@aborzenkov wrote:

You always need licenses associated with controller serial number to remain compliant. Starting with 8.2 licenses are also physically tied to serial number, so after head swap you have 60 days of grace period during which you must install matching licenses.

so it means not to buy the license for the old controller and keep it for the new one !! or once i order the new one inform Netapp people that i have currently this licence and i need it to be shifted to new contoller ?

is there is any way to conttact netapp by email for that ?

aborzenkov

If you are going to replace controller in near future, it makes no sense (from my point of view) to buy licenses for old controller. It may be possible to transfer them, but you have to speak with NetApp about it, and better in advance. Normally each license is issued to specific serial number.

I have no idea how you contact NetApp in your region, did you try to look at www.netapp.com for contact information?

paulstringfellow

as suggested already, licences are tied to controllers and specfically so from 8.2 onwards.

prior to that the ability to copy licences around, although not compliant, could be done.

you will need to speak to NetApp in your region, or at least via your NetApp partner to see if this is possible, there commercially will no doubt be an option for doing so as part of the "deal" for the new controllers, however it's important you go through the right channels, or you could find yourself with an unsupported configuration.

Public