ONTAP Discussions

Snapmirror to Tapes

deygaurab

Hi Friends,

I have to snapmirror snapvaulted data to tapes. There is a Tape library connected to the filer. Can I run a "snapmirror store" command to copy the data to the tapes?

Can someone advise the process to do achive it?

Cheers

Rahul

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

scottgelb

Any volume can be snapmirrored to tape but the restore is the complete volume (no partial restore of the smtape image) and also the smtape restore is supported 2 major ONTAP revisions back... so if 8.1 now, 8.4 probably won't be supported.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

deygaurab

Anyone avaiable for suggestion?

NAYABRASOOL

Hi Rahul,

Please check if this link helps..

https://communities.netapp.com/thread/6948

Thanks,

Nayab

deygaurab

Thans Nayab,

Can snapvaulted data be snapmirrored to tapes?

Regards

Rahul

scottgelb

Any volume can be snapmirrored to tape but the restore is the complete volume (no partial restore of the smtape image) and also the smtape restore is supported 2 major ONTAP revisions back... so if 8.1 now, 8.4 probably won't be supported.

deygaurab

Thanks Scott,

Filer A->(snapvault) ->Filer B->Snapmirror retrieve to tapes

In order to do this, do I have to put the destination volume in restrict mode and if so will it impact the existing snapvault relation between Filer A->Filer B ?

Cheers

Rahul

radek_kubka

If you mean the volume on Filer B, it doesn't need to be in a restricted mode for SMTape backup - you would restrict it only if doing SMTape restore.

deygaurab

Thanks Radek,

Is "snapmirror store" is the right command to Snapmirror the Filer B vol to tape? Also if I plan to schedule it once a week, updating the snapmirror.conf file on FilerB take care of it?

Cheers

Rahul

radek_kubka

Hi Rahul,

This doc offers a comprehensive info about SMTape:

https://library.netapp.com/ecm/ecm_get_file/ECMP1141752

The actual command for backing up a volume to tape is "smtape backup".

I don't think you can schedule it on the filer, but it can be done via external script.

Regards,
Radek

deygaurab

Thanks a lot Radek...

Cheers

Rahul

scottgelb

Depends on ONTAP version... the newer smtape backup is more flexible than prior ontap snapmirror store since a snapshot can be specified with backup (then it backs up from that snap back)

deygaurab

The only flip side I could see is I will have to manually switch the tapes as I do not have a backup software

Regards

Rahul

UPADHYAYULA

And if you are looking for granular recovery options like the ability to recover a file from tape without having to restore the entire volume back to NetApp, "dump" might be another option. Dump also allows to backup selectively (not necessarily the entire volume).

Public