ONTAP Discussions

Snapshot operation not allowed due to clones backed by snapshots, when performing the backup

kiran_s_arc

I have a cDOt array running with Data Ontap 8.3.1. Created a volume and craved a single LUN of size 2.5TB, and the 2.5TB Lun(10 VMs are running on this CSV disk each of 120GB) is used as a CSV disk for my Hyper-V 2012 Cluster environment. Installed the snapdrive software on the Hyper-V server and now when i perform the backup, the snapshot creation fails as below

"Snapshot operation not allowed due to clones backed by snapshots." I see the same message for 100times in the event viewer of the Hyper-V server. What is the root cause of the message and i have gone through the best practices docuement "Clustered Data ONTAP 8.1.1: Best Practices for NetApp SnapManager for Hyper-V" and its documented when some requirments are met. My environment is as per the document, still i see the warning message and at the end the hardware snapshot creation fails..

The best practice document says, there is a registry key that can be used to increase the retry. What is the path for the creation of the registry key and does it need any restart of the snapdrive services..

3 REPLIES 3

ChanceBingen

It sounds like there is an issue with the LUN clone that is used for snapshot autorecovery (part of the Hyper-V VSS workflow).

Do you have the same problem if you perform a non-application consistent backup from SMHV? 

kiran_s_arc

The problem is only with the appliciation consistent backup. We are a backup product vendor and we are trying to create application consistent backup. Is there a way we can handle this from our code.

Sahana

Hi

Refer KB https://kb.netapp.com/support/index?page=content&id=2023724 (requires login)

http://docs.snapprotect.com/netapp/v10/article?p=products/vs_ms/snap/troubleshooting.htm 

Read section: HPV0026: Backup using NetApp cluster mode LUNs fails with error: "Snapshot operation not allowed due to clones backed by snapshots"

If this post resolved your issue, help others by selecting ACCEPT AS SOLUTION or adding a KUDO.
Public