ONTAP Discussions

Snapvault: Replication Error

maliu

Hi,

I am currently planning to implement snapvault in production environment but having it tested on sim using the best pracitices guide. Everything appears to be working well with the qtree replication except similar error messages i periodically see on secondary and primary host as below.

It appears because source contains no new data to replicate, hence suspending transfer to secondary. But will like to know if this happens in a real environment? If yes, then how can we stop this messages since is just because no new data has been added on the sources.

Event: replication.dst.err

Severity: error

Message: destination transfer from filer1-a:/vol/vol_test/qt_test to /vol/sv_test/qt_test : source contains no new data; suspending transfer to destination.

Thanks in advance...

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

bhanojiisit

Did you try to update the snapvault manually? If the manual update is working fine, then please refer to the KB below :

https://kb.netapp.com/support/index?page=content&id=2012738

Hope this helps...

Best Regards,

Bhanoji

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

bhanojiisit

Did you try to update the snapvault manually? If the manual update is working fine, then please refer to the KB below :

https://kb.netapp.com/support/index?page=content&id=2012738

Hope this helps...

Best Regards,

Bhanoji

maliu

Hi Bhanoji,

The manual update works fine and the KB appears to have fixed my error (though still monitoring). It means we can't have higher snapshot retention policies set on destination than the the source if we must match the schedules?

Regards,

Mohammed.

bhanojiisit

Dear Mohammed,

We can definitely have higer snapshot retention policies set on destination than the source.

For example we can have 5 days snapshots on the source and 90 days on the destination.

snapvault snap sched -x -o preserve=on,warn=warn_count vol_name snap_name n@- 

• -x—specifies the transfer of new data from all primary paths before creating the Snapshot copy.
  • -o—sets user-configurable options for this Snapshot copy schedule.
  • preserve—can take one of the following values. 
    • on—Create and retain the SnapVault archive Snapshot copies until the retention limit is reached. Thereafter, SnapVault does not create archive Snapshot copies.
    • off—Automatically delete the oldest archived Snapshot copy to create a new Snapshot copy.
    • default—The preserve setting depends on the global snapvault.preservesnap setting.
  • warn—sends out the warning EMS and SNMP alerts when the remaining number of SnapVault scheduled Snapshot copies for a target reaches the warn_count limit set. This option can have a value from 0 to n - 1.
  • n@- is the number of Snapshot copies to retain along with the list of hours or days.

Hope this helps...

Thanks....

Best Regards,

Bhanoji Rao.

maliu

Hi Bhanoji,

If i understand this correctly as per KB you provided (making the snapvault schedule on the primary match the snapvault schedule on the secondary). So meaning keeping the schedules (hours,days) the same on both source and destination but the snapshot retention can be higher on the destination. Please let me know if the snapvault schedules below looks ok with destination having higher number of snapshot copies to retain.

Primary:

filer-a> snapvault snap sched vol_proj sv_hourly 7@8,12,16

filer-a> snapvault snap sched vol_proj sv_daily 7@22

filer-a> snapvault snap sched vol_proj sv_weekly 8@21@thu

Secondary:

filer-b> snapvault snap sched -x sv_proj sv_hourly 14@8,12,16

filer-b> snapvault snap sched -x sv_proj sv_daily 14@22

filer-b> snapvault snap sched -x sv_proj sv_weekly 16@21@thu

Regards,

bhanojiisit

Dear Mohammed,

Yes that's true.