ONTAP Discussions

Snapvault a Snpamirror Secondary Volume

ephillipsme

I am trying to setup a Snapvault of a Snapmirror secondary volume on a DR filer. I need to backup the volume for greater retention and I do not want to burden the bandwidth between the two sites by running a Snapvault on the source volume as well as Snapmirror. I figure this should be straight forward  and wondering what is the best process to accomplish this.

Ernie

4 REPLIES 4

radek_kubka

Hi Ernie,

Have you got any LUNs with application-consistent snapshots within your volumes? If that's the case, then the preferred way is to use Protection Manager to cascade from SnapMirror secondary to a SnapVault tertiary (the other option is scripting, or you will loose 'good' snapshots).

Other than that, there are no major gotchas with this.

Regards,

Radek

ephillipsme

Ok, if you don't have protection manager how would you script the Snapvault to ensure there is a 'good' application aware snapshot for the Snapvault.  I have in teh past uses a snapvault snap command against the Snapmirror destination but am not sure this is capturing the 'Good' Application aware snapshot?

radek_kubka

Have a look at http://media.netapp.com/documents/tr-3487.pdf, p.19 - you have explanation there how to use snapvault update command to pick up a named snapshot (i.e. the 'good' one), rather than VSM-created.

Regards,
Radek

aborzenkov

Snapmirror destination is read-only, so whatever you do to create “good snapshot” you must do on snapmirror source. After good snapshot is replicated to destination, it can be used as SnapVault base snapshot. TR Radek referred to give detail instructions how to snapvault SM destination.

Public