ONTAP Discussions

Snapvault - creating a snapshot manually

rmharwood

Hi folks,

I'm busy setting up Snapvault for the first time.

A number of applications are configured to take snapshots of their volumes manually rather than the filer doing them (via snap sched). These work similar to SnapManager in that they need to make the data crash-consistent before taking the snapshot.

I need to start storing archived copies of these snapshots in a Snapvault secondary. So, I created a Snapvault relationship between the primary qtree and a secondary volume. This all works fine - a baseline copy took place and snapshots were created on both the primary and the secondary. I can successfully issue a "snapvault update" on the secondary to have it copy the deltas from the primary.

What I can't seem to get to work - on the primary or the secondary - is manually creating a snapshot using "snapvault snap create". As far as I can tell the syntax should be "snapvault snap create <volname> <snapname>" but whatever combinations I put for <volname> and <snapname> on the primary or the secondary, I get the following error:

Snapshot creation aborted: snapshot target not configured.

I cannot find any references to examples that may be useful to me. It seems that I'm missing something, possibly something obvious.

Any help would be appreciated!

Cheers,

Richard

15 REPLIES 15
Public