ONTAP Discussions

Some console messages are duplicated under 8.0.2

aborzenkov

At least messages from SnapMirror and some others appear twice. The real problem is, the messages are partially overlapped with text mixed up which makes it hard to read. Here is an example:

Sat AprSat Apr  7 09:06:01 MSK last message repeated 2 times

7 09:06:01 MSK last message repeated 2 times

Sat AprSat Apr  7 09:07:01 MSK [fasr3: replication.dst.err:error]: SnapMirror: destination transfer from sapdr-con:/vol/saplog_sns_r3p/SNS to /vol/saplog_sns_r3p/SNS : source contains no new data; suspending transfer to destination.

7 09:07:01 MSK [fasr3: replication.dst.err:error]: SnapMirror: destination transfer from sapdr-con:/vol/saplog_sns_r3p/SNS to /vol/saplog_sns_r3p/SNS : source contains no new data; suspending transfer to destination.

This makes it rather hard to follow when you are sitting on console.

Anyone has noticed it? What are the sources of these messages? Any BURT on it?

Add. Checking /etc/messages - it contains no duplicated messages; I get them once per minute (as modified by throttle). /etc/syslog.conf does not exist (in DOT root at least). This is vanilla system factory preinstalled and updated to 8.0.2P6.

3 REPLIES 3

scottgelb

Messages won't have the duplicated messages with options ems.autosuppress.enable on ... the default is on

ern
NetApp

In 8.x, there are situations currently where two or more sources of messages to console can overlap. EMS/syslogd is one source, the main one which most customers are familiar with. There are other sources which don't use EMS/syslogd to print to the console.

It isn't clear from the output provided what the second source is. If this is known, it can be reduced or eliminated making the console clearer.

aborzenkov

These are snapmirror messages (messages come from failed attempt to update snapmirror). I have no idea which is the second source, I do not have access to DOT internals

Which information could I provide additionally to help identify the second source?

Public