ONTAP Discussions

Span aggregates across stacks

nsitps1976

Can disks / shelf’s which reside within separate stacks be within the same aggregate?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

BEN_HOLKO

Yes. My understanding is that the requirement for separate stacks is related to the number of devices on the SAS interface, nothing to do with aggregates. Aggregates are really just a sort of volume group, so as long as the system can see the spindles then it does not matter. I'm sure there's probably some best practice documented somewhere, but the basic answer to your question is yes, aggregates can be cross-stack.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

BEN_HOLKO

Yes. My understanding is that the requirement for separate stacks is related to the number of devices on the SAS interface, nothing to do with aggregates. Aggregates are really just a sort of volume group, so as long as the system can see the spindles then it does not matter. I'm sure there's probably some best practice documented somewhere, but the basic answer to your question is yes, aggregates can be cross-stack.

nsitps1976

thanks for this.

with metro cluster are the aggrs mirrored between shelfs within separate stacks, do you know?

aborzenkov

This is up to you (or whoever configured metrocluster). They should be configured to use different stacks but as far as I know, nothing in Data ONTAP actually enforces it.

For FMC you normally mirror between sites and shelves in each site are of course in separate stacks.

nsitps1976

great, thanks

Public