ONTAP Discussions

Strange issue with CIFS access

ACHOU_SIMG

Hi,

Environment:

ONTAP 9.1RC1

FAS8080EX

I have copied a directory tree from Isilon to the NetApp volume in mixed mode using rsync on a Linux host. The source directory tree was accessed by both UNIX and Windows clients. On the destination (NetApp), I can access from a Linux client based on the mode bit permissions set as expected. From CIFS share access though, it has weird problems.

Problems:

Even with mod bits 777 set on the files (e.g. Excel files, txt files) and their parent directories,

1. Open files: I get an error: "Could not open ....xlsx" when open Excel files and "A device attached to the system is not functioning" when opening a txt file. 

2. Create/Rename files: When I create a new file, the file gets created if I leave it with the default name (e.g. "New Text Document.txt" and "New Microsoft Excel Worksheet.xlsx"). If during the creation or after creation, I change the file name, it complains: "Can't read from the source file or disk."

3. Delete files: I can delete all the files (which may make sense based on 777 mode bits)

The NetApp SVM is bind to the AD domain fine and I can query with diag secd auth show-creds for the users I used to test.... successfully. User mapping between UNIX and Windows is working too. The above problems occur to all users I've tesetd so far.

I also tried security trace and when I performed opening a file, it says it's granted access even for writes.

User has UNIX permissions while opening existing file or directory. Access is granted for: "Read Control", "Write Attributes", "Read Attributes", "Write EA", "Append", "Write"

When checking on the sampled xlsx file from the storage using "vserver security file-directory show", it says:

File Inode Number: 85471
Security Style: mixed
Effective Style: unix
DOS Attributes: 20
DOS Attributes in Text: ---A----
Expanded Dos Attributes: 0x20
...0 .... .... .... = Offline
.... ..0. .... .... = Sparse
.... .... 0... .... = Normal
.... .... ..1. .... = Archive
.... .... ...0 .... = Directory
.... .... .... .0.. = System
.... .... .... ..0. = Hidden
.... .... .... ...0 = Read Only
UNIX User Id: 0
UNIX Group Id: 0
UNIX Mode Bits: 777
UNIX Mode Bits in Text: rwxrwxrwx
ACLs: -

The only thing I am not sure is whether "Domain Users" or Everyone should be shown unde "ACLs" in normal cases.

If you have any suggestions on how to fix this, please advise. Thank you.

1 REPLY 1

suna

check this

vserver cifs options show

qtree show

please show the output

Public