ONTAP Discussions

TSM ndmp backup using non default vfiler

cruxrealm

Hi to all,

I wanted to find out if anyone have any success backing up via ndmp a non-default vfiler owned volumes using TSM.

Is this even supported?   TSM ndmp backup using the default vfiler (vfiler0) works fine but we unable do it on non-default vfiler.

Input is much appreciated.

TY

8 REPLIES 8

scottgelb

NDMP to tape is not supported in vfilers.  vfiler0 must be used for ndmp backups.  Documentation does state ndmp support inside vfilers, but that is for ndmpcopy, not tape backup.

cruxrealm

Thanks Scott for the reply.

The TSM implementation was not using ndmp to tape (directly).   Current TSM setup is doing ndmp dump to disk storage pool (and not to tape).

scottgelb

For ndmp to a storage pool or remote ndmp isn't available in a vfiler.. Unless it was added and I missed it. The only ndmp support is for ndmpcopy as far as I know.

Typos Sent on Blackberry Wireless

cruxrealm

I just got a reply from NetApp that it is supported.   We will going to test it.    I will post the result.

scottgelb

Please post the result.  I wonder if TSM is using ndmp copy to get the data to your disk target..if using backup and restore commands through ndmp they weren't supported in vfilers...but if that changed that would be great to hear in your test.

scottgelb

Roger sent me the link which I didn't check before.. as long as no tape (there isn't in your case), SAN management commands, or Veritas NDMP (not your case of course), then it should work.

https://now.netapp.com/NOW/knowledge/docs/ontap/rel735/html/ontap/vfiler/GUID-5B3AB190-6FEA-45A7-BAEB-714724738C4A.html

You will just need the ndmp password for the vfiler user... "vfiler run vfilername ndmpd password username" to get the password you need to use when not a root user.

cruxrealm

The workaround works.

Below is the Bug Details:   232468

http://now.netapp.com/NOW/cgi-bin/bol?Type=Detail&Display=232468

Testing underway using multiple vfiler TSM backup on single system.

scottgelb

Great info... thank you.  Are you also testing vfiler migrate or dr or data motion with this setup?

Public