ONTAP Discussions

Takeover of the partner node is impossible due to reason waiting for partner to recover

PASCAL_PETIT

Hello,

I performed a nondisruptive Ontap upgrade  from 8.0.2P3 to 8.1.1.

First controler updates successfully, but I forget to perform the software update on controler B before to perform the take over from node A.

So when I performed the cf giveback controler B rebooted and show me this message:

Takeover of the partner node is impossible due to reason waiting for partner to recover

I think this is due to different software version between controler.

I am on the Loader, how can I update this failed controler to recover this controler?

Thank you for your help

5 REPLIES 5

aborzenkov

So did you try to repeat software update when you booted controller B?

PASCAL_PETIT

How to repeat software update at boot?

I thought to downgrade controler A to previous version, and restart controler B, do you think this can fixe my pb?

aborzenkov

I do not understand your question.

As I understood from your first post, controller B booted, but booted old version. Just repeat software update procedure on controller B.

I do not recommend downgrade, this is far less trivial than upgrade and should always be done under guidance of NetApp personnel.

PASCAL_PETIT

The controler B don't succceed to boot because it is in old version so unsynchronized with controler A.

I tested to disable cluster in controler A and from controler B loader type boot_ontap with no success.

scottgelb

Without the software update completing, I would open a support case to make sure you recover and get 8.1.1 on the controller... it may involve a flash card update from the special boot menu, but best to have support guide the procedure.

Public