ONTAP Discussions

Taking snap shots backup using snapvault primary Only.

kpkarthik

Dear ALL,

Advance New Year Wishes

i have a question about snapvault.

i have a 2040 dual controller with snap vault primary license only.(dont have snap vault secondary)

is it possible to take snap shot backup to another volume or aggregate with snapvault primary only.

thanks in advance

Regards

Kp Karthik

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

rshiva

Hi Karthik,

AFAIK for SnapVault, you would need both Primary and Secondary to be licensed. If you are planning to have SnapVault within a single controller, then you must have SnapVault primary and SnapVault secondary licensed on that same node.

Thanks and regards

Shiva Raja

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15

paragj

I am currently out of office till 2nd January with no access to e-mails.

If this is urgent, you can reach me on my mobile.

Regards

Parag Joshi

rshiva

Hi Karthik,

You can check out the following documentation:

http://now.netapp.com/NOW/knowledge/docs/ontap/rel733/pdfs/ontap/onlinebk.pdf (Page 234)

SnapVault primary and secondary on the same system

In Data ONTAP 7.3 and later, the SnapVault primary and secondary features can be on the same system. However, you need to enable both the SnapVault primary and the SnapVault secondary licenses on the same system.

After enabling both the SnapVault primary and secondary licenses on one system, you can use the system in both of the following ways.

• SnapVault destination for one or multiple backup relationships.

• Both SnapVault source and SnapVault destination for the same backup relationship. For example, by using SnapVault you can back up data from FC aggregates to ATA aggregates connected to the same system.

Note:

The source and destination qtrees cannot be within the same volume.

Thanks and regards

shiva raja

paragj

Regards

Parag Joshi

kpkarthik

Hi shiva,

Thanks for your mail.

Is it possible to move snap shots with snapvault primary only. I dont have secondary lic.

I heard from netapp SE that its possible.

Thanks and regards

Kp karthik

paragj

Regards

Parag Joshi

kpkarthik

Hi shiva,

Thanks for your quick responce and reply.

i have fas 2040 with 2 disk shelf.1 sas and another sata.

i have 2 aggregates. can i move the snapshots from 1 volume to another volume with snap vault primary only.

Snapvault secondary lic is comming as an bundle with snapmirror.i cannot order snapvault secondary alone.

Can you confirm that snapvault secondary is a must.

Thanks and regards

Kp karthik

paragj

Regards

Parag Joshi

rshiva

Hi Karthik,

AFAIK for SnapVault, you would need both Primary and Secondary to be licensed. If you are planning to have SnapVault within a single controller, then you must have SnapVault primary and SnapVault secondary licensed on that same node.

Thanks and regards

Shiva Raja

paragj

Regards

Parag Joshi

kpkarthik

Thank you very much Shiva

paragj

Regards

Parag Joshi

smoot

Yes Parag, we know :-).

adaikkap

SV Pri and Sec both license on a single node is only supported starting ONTAP version 7.3 or latter.

Ontap doesn't allow,the source and destination qtrees to  be within the same volume, in case of snapvaulting within the controller.

And to add to shiva point, PM doesn't support Snapvaulting within the same Aggr, in case of snapvaulting within the controller, as it isn't a complete backup solution,

as if a couple of disk in the aggr fails, then both the source and backup data are lost.

Regards

adai

smoot

AFAIK, no. You need both licenses installed before you can create SnapVault relationships.

I have not personally tried this on 7.3 so it's possible the behavior has changed to make installing the SV Primary license implicitly enable SV secondary behavior. I think that's quite unlikely.

adaikkap

Hi

I have not personally tried this on 7.3 so it's possible the behavior has changed to make installing the SV Primary license implicitly enable SV secondary behavior. I think that's quite unlikely.

pete you are right, though starting 7.3 both snapvault primary and secondary license call be installed on the same controller(which was not possible until then) you still need license key for SV primary  and SV Secondary.

Regards

adai

Public