ONTAP Discussions

There are not enough spare disks. Please add spare disks to Pool. Help appreciated

SGLANCELOT

Hi everybody,

I have been experiencing this error message on both of my filer.

"There are not enough spare disks. /aggr0/plex2/rg0: Please add spare disks to Pool1 supporting block checksum with minimum siz" on my first filer, and

"There are not enough spare disks. /aggr0/plex4/rg0: Please add spare disks to Pool0 supporting block checksum with minimum siz" on my second filer.

A few things to note:

1.) Since the start of the error message, there isn't any negative impact caused by this problem.

2.) I have another entirely different network with a similar setup, and it too, is experiencing this same error message on its filer

I have looked around the entire forum and attempted to follow some of the troubleshooting steps to diagnose this error message to no avail.

I have a few questions:

1.) What does this error message mean and what impact will it have on my system if prolonged?

2.) If one of my disk fails, will it deem my entire disk shelf unworkable?

3.) What alterations to my configuration/setup can I apply to solve this error message?

Really appreciate any help! Thanks for reading!

1 REPLY 1

AVANISHRANJAN

As per my understanding you have gone with SyncMirror, which is not being used in my environment but still i am trying to answer your query" , that is creating the pools in the aggregate P0 and P1 ..

Please assign the spare disks on each pool..

Here add spares on the system , assign the disk to Pool 0 and Pool 1

here i am adding the disk to pool 1:-

disk assign <disk_name> -p 1

please note by default disks are with pool 0

Minimum number of spares can be as desided by you on filer check in the list of "filer options" i.e. raid.min_spare_count..

In filer1 add spares on pool1 and in filer2 add spares on pool 0

;;;;

Public