ONTAP Discussions

Total Used vs. Total Physical Used

TMADOCTHOMAS

I recently attached a previously used additional SSD shelf to an AFF HA pair. It has different disk sizes than the existing SSD so i created a new stack and aggregate. Everything appears normal. I then moved several volumes to this aggregate.

Here's where things get strange.

At least two of the volumes are using >1TB of space, but the new aggregate shows only 613GB of used space, even after several days.

To pick one as an example, the cithqvmccpp_01p volume shows 1.28TB used in System Manager and 58.21GB of snapshot space used, leaving 938.3 GB available.I also show 745.91 GB of deduplication savings and 5.33 GB of compression savings. The volume is thin provisioned.

The command line shows the following:

cithqnacl01p::> volume show-space -volume cithqvmccpp_01p

Vserver : cithqnaccpp01p
Volume : cithqvmccpp_01p

Feature Used Used%
-------------------------------- ---------- ------
User Data 1.27TB 57%
Filesystem Metadata 683.8MB 0%
Inodes 16KB 0%
Deduplication 1.57GB 0%
Snapshot Spill 58.16GB 3%
Performance Metadata 256.0MB 0%

Total Used 1.33TB 59%

Total Physical Used 269.8GB 12%

Why and how does "total physical used" = a significant amount less than "total used"? If "total physical" is supposed to take into account what is actually used in a thin provisioned volume, it is inaccurate. As already noted, the volume properties shows 1.28TB used, not 269.8GB. I should note there is a LUN in the volume where the data resides, but the LUN itself is not thin provisioned.

Any help in deciphering this would be greatly appreciated!

11 REPLIES 11
Public