ONTAP Discussions

URGENT PROBLEM: SNAPDRIVE WONT MOUNT LUN

mandeepi1

Hi All,

I have a FAS2050c.

I have a single exchange 2007 server running SME5, the Logs LUNs all in a LOGS volume on head A. DB LUNs in a DB Volume in HeadB.

I accidently deleted the Exchange Logs volume on head A, i used vol copy to restore the volume from the DR san and have successfully mounted the disks. Obviously exchange was not happy so I successfully performed an SME Restore.

After performing a reboot for some reason I can no longer mount my Exchange DB LUNs, after rebooting the head I was able to connect to 1 of the 3 DB LUN's however the other 2 will not connect. I dont get any errors other than snapdrive timing out after 120 secs. I can manually assign the LUN's to the igroup and disk mgt can see the volumes, however it cant assign a drive letter to it.

Interestingly I am able to mount a snapshot of any of the lun's fine, just not the active file system. I've done a reconstruct to ensure nothing is wrong and a wafl inconsistent and nothing is wrong.

Any ideas please as I'm at the limit of my knowlege.

I was thinking about doing a snaprestore of the SME snapshot however after mounting the SME snapshot and manually try mounting the DB in exchange it fails.

Help!

Thanks

4 REPLIES 4

sourav

Hi Mandeep,

I assume that the SME restore went fine without any error. With this assumption in mind your issue now is that the restored LUNs cannot be connected to by SDW even though you can see those as disks in diskmgmt.msc.

Can you try the following: -

1. Go to FilerView > LUNs > Manage.

2. Locate the LUNs that you cannot connect to and unmap them.

3. Go to diskmgmt.msc on the host and perform a rescan.

4. Go back to FilerView > LUNs > Manage and manually map the LUNs (that you aren't able to connect to) to the host.

5. Go back to diskmgmt.msc on the host and perform a rescan.

6. Restart SnapDrive Services and open the SnapDrive console. I assume you have SDW 6.0 or above.

7. Check if you can see the newly connected LUNs. These will appear in the disk list without drive letters but with the LUN ID that you assigned in step 4.

8. Assign drive letters to these LUNs.

If the above does not work then you'll have to look at why the timeout is happening. Please check the Application event log and if possible post that to this thread.

Regards,

Sourav Chakraborty.

mandeepi1

Hi,

Thanks for your kind response!

Unfortunately I have already tried that, I think the problem is that there is some sort of corruption within the active file system. Remember snapshots are mounting fine, just not the main LUN's themselves.

Please note, it was the exchange LOG volume/luns that got deleted and only now after doing the SME Restore (which did work fine thanks), did the database lun's on the other head stop working. Although 1 of the 3 DB LUN's does mount fine.

Thanks

mandeepi1

Sorry, to be clear, its the part that the mount to a mount point that fails.

ecker

Hi...

Maybe this coult help... even when it's not a cluster...

https://now.netapp.com/Knowledgebase/solutionarea.asp?id=kb41190

Cheers!

Mike

Public