ONTAP Discussions

Updating MCTB Config File Password Entry

joycem

How do I update the credentials for OnCommand and MCTB when we change the root password on the filer that it is monitoring?

Changed the password on the controller and now receiving the following errors. 

Mon Jan 28 14:45:42 EST [systemname: HTTPPool02:warning]: HTTP XML Authentication  failed from xxx.xx.xx.xx.

Mon Jan 28 14:46:02 EST [systemname: HTTPPool01:warning]: HTTP XML Authentication  failed from xxx.xx.xx.xx.

Mon Jan 28 14:46:22 EST [systemname: HTTPPool04:warning]: HTTP XML Authentication  failed from xxx.xx.xx.xx.

Mon Jan 28 14:46:42 EST [systemname: HTTPPool00:warning]: HTTP XML Authentication  failed from xxx.xx.xx.xx.

Mon Jan 28 14:47:02 EST [systemname: HTTPPool02:warning]: HTTP XML Authentication  failed from xxx.xx.xx.xx.

The IP address xxx.xx.xx.xx is the system where the ONCommand server and MCTB script is running.

Tried updating the password in the config.xml file per MetroCluster TieBreaker Configuration doc excerpt below and stopped and started MCTB.  Now, MCTB won't start. 

How do I properly update everything when the root password on the controller changes?

“The password parameter is used to set a new password, and will only exist in the file temporarily. When MCTB starts up, it checks for instances of the password element. All password elements found are encrypted and the configuration file is immediately rewritten. Each password element is replaced by an encryptedPassword element containing encrypted text. Either password or encryptedPassword is required.”

Thanks,

Joyce

3 REPLIES 3

abrian

Hi Joyce,

Did you remove the old password in the "<encryptedPassword>" element and replace it with the new clear text password in a "<password>" element?  The "password" and "encryptedPassword" elements can't exist in the same config file

The error preventing MCTB from starting should be in the "mctb.log" file (<install_dir>/logs/mctb.log).   I suspect it's a syntax or other error in the configuration file.  Did you run "validate" before restarting the server?

Let me know what you find in the log file and I'll try to help more.

Thanks

Brian

joycem

<embarrassed>  Yep, that's it.  Syntax error.  Replaced <encryptedPassword> element in the config.xml file with <password> element but failed to put the / on the second side of the element.  </embarrassed>

With proper syntax in place, the new password was accepeted and encrypted on MCTB startup.  Thanks!!

-Joyce

abrian

Well, it's not like I ever do that (even recently, several years after creating the thing)

I'm glad it's resolved!

Public