ONTAP Discussions

Upgrade Ontap 8.3 to Ontap 9 root-data-data partition

PeterMekes

Hi,

I updated a new FAS 2552 ( All SSD ) from 8.3.2 P2 to 9.oP1, after the update I initialized the system.

I was hoping dat I could create an aggregate with the root-data-data partitioning method so I get 2 aggregates both the same size next to the Root partitions.

( http://docs.netapp.com/ontap-9/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.netapp.doc.dot-cm-hacg%2FGUID-4E031540-57DB-41E8-AA4A-45466D59B7D2.html )

But unfortionally I was unable to do so, anybody know the solution  ?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

aborzenkov

How did you reinitialize controllers? You need to remove ownership from all disks (and current partitions) before starting it.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

aborzenkov

As far as I know root-data-data is used only for SSD disks.

PeterMekes

aborzenkov

How did you reinitialize controllers? You need to remove ownership from all disks (and current partitions) before starting it.

PeterMekes

I reinitialize the controllers without removing ownership and partitions.

So next step would be booting in maintanance mode and removing ownership and partitions ( if the exists ) and start a new initialize ( Option 4)  ?

PeterMekes

I removed all the partitions and ownership of the disks, and after a initialize I can create aggregates with root-data-data.

Thanks.

aborzenkov

Good. Congratulations!

thomasb82

Would be nice to get an option to repartition without losing data and all that (un)assigning.

Most partitioning tools can do that, so it shouldn't be that complicated to implement, right?!

Thanks!

Public