ONTAP Discussions

Upgrading aggr1 to 64 bit and migrating data.

PETERDEKANTER

I have a rather complex problem.

I'll lay out the details. I have a 3140 and a 2040. They do forward and reverse replication. Both have two aggregates, aggr0 (The three disk default 32bit root) and aggr1 (64bit, not root, but where all of my volumes and luns are). The 3140 has 20 spare 600gb disks.

I would like to only have a single 64bit aggr0 with all of my volumes and snapshots still intact on both units. I already know that the SnapMirror relationships will have to be destroyed and the destination volumes deleted.

I have been doing a lot of reading and it feels like this is possible, I just can't gather enough information in one place. My first plan was to do an in place upgrade with -64bit-upgrade option using the aggr command, but then I found that you can't do an upgrade like that unless you try to add more than 16tb worth of disk to the aggregate. While I have enough disk to do that on the 3140, I do not on the 2040. At that point my plan was to make aggr1 the root aggrogate and I suppose copy vol0 to aggr1? I know I saw how to do this somewhere but I can't for the life of me find it.

Basically I'd like to know if this is even possible and if so how would you go about doing it? I have already called 888 4NETAPP to ask for advice and they were rather... unhelpful.

Thank you for your time.

3 REPLIES 3

aborzenkov

Yes, it is possible. It sounds like you already have 8.1 installed so you can just do "vol copy" from 32 to 64 bit; that preserves all snapshots and allows to resume snapmirror later. If not, you can simply ndmpcopy /vol0/etc to new root volume, it should be enough. See https://kb.netapp.com/support/index?page=content&id=1010097

PETERDEKANTER

Oops, I forgot to put in what rev I'm at. I'm currently at 8.0 RC3. Should I upgrade to 8.1 RC2 beforehand?

EDIT: And is a vol copy disruptive, as in would I have to disconnect the volume or lun? I'm assuming it is since you would have to remap everything anyway.

aborzenkov

Well … one RC is as good as another one ☺ Why not …

Public