ONTAP Discussions

Users home directories and quotas

RANJBASSI

Hi All

Hoping if someone can assist with an issue I am having with migrating home shares to a CIFS share on our NetApp FAS8020 running Ontap 8.2.1 7 mode.

I have tested migrating home shares using Robocopy to ensure permissions are retained and the good news is this part works ok. I have enforced user quotas on the qtree I have created for Home directories however once the data moves over and I map the CIFS share to a client it doesnt seem to pick up the quota for the existing files already in the share, it does however add to the quota if I add any new files into it.

So I created a 100mb quota and migrated one of home directories over which was fine but the quota in Windows showed 100mb free of 100mb. Once I filled it up with 5 X 20mb files it then activated the quota and it was full.

Is it by design that the quota wont work for exisitng files migrated over? I am assuming this is because of the way the ownership of the way the robocopy job is run?

ANy advice on this would be most appreciated.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

f_defrocourt

Hi RANJBASSI,

You have pointed the right solution. In robocopy job, there is a parameters who keep the owner of the files transfert by the robocopy job.

So you have to redo your robocopy job with the "/COPYALL" parameter.

Hope i was help.

François

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

f_defrocourt

Hi RANJBASSI,

You have pointed the right solution. In robocopy job, there is a parameters who keep the owner of the files transfert by the robocopy job.

So you have to redo your robocopy job with the "/COPYALL" parameter.

Hope i was help.

François

RANJBASSI

Thank you, that was the answer. It was a switch that needed to be used to copy Ownership details.

Public