ONTAP Discussions

VMware DR with NetApp storage

siungnc79

Hi,

I plan to implement DR for VMware with netapp storage. Below is my idea on the implemention. Please help to share with me all of your valueable ideas & opinions.

At site A, I have 2 ESX server with netapp fas2020. Both are configured with HA & managed under VC. I plan to add a ESX server with netapp fas2020 at site B. This ESX server is standalone and not managed under VC.

All the VMs is active under NFS datastore at site A. All the data (vmdk, vmx and etc) under NFS datastore from site A should be replicated to site B at scheduled time.

Once site A is having disaster, I will configure ESX server at site B (add the NFS datastore) to bring up all the VMs.

Once site A is recovering, all the VMs should be bring up at site A with latest data from site B.

Is my idea workable? How to get back the latest data from netapp fas2020 at site B when bringing up VMs at site A?

Any others ideas?

Thanks.

6 REPLIES 6

love_netapp

Hi,

Did you look at the VMWARE SRM(site recovery manager)...? this can be help ful.

aborzenkov

Yes, it is workable. If you use SnapMirror to replicate from A to B, you can later reverse direction to replicate from B to A. Assuming data on site A physically available, reverse replication will transmit only changes since last succseful replication from A to B.

It is better if every VM is completely contained in one volume to ensure replicated image is write-order consistent.

As already mentioned, SRM largely automates everything for you.

siungnc79

Dear all,

Thanks for your reply. I have some questions as below.

1] Does SRM workable on NetApp FAS2020 storage?

2] Any requirements to configure SRM? In term of hardware, design and etc.

3] How about the price between snapmirror and SRM?

4] Basically how the SRM works?

5] For recovery using snapmirror, if site A is recovered, I need to reverse the sync from site B to A for the latest changes. That mean I need to wait for the sync to be completed in order to have latest data before I able to power on all my VMs at site A?

6] I plan to create each VM with separately NFS datasore because I will choose only critical system to be replicated to site B. Is it ok compared to create a NFS datastore with multiple VMs?

Thanks.

aborzenkov

1. Yes

2. Beyond standard configuration for ESX you need SnapMirror, SnapRestore and FlexClone does not hurt as well; otherwise it is pretty much standard from NetApp point of view. Check NetApp IMT and VMware site for supported combinations of versions etc

3. SRM goes on top of SnapMirror

4. It provides you with single button to do all steps required to fail over VMs from one site to another. You can customize it to include any script (e.g. to modify VMs network settings if required), you can run drill-down to test failover without disturbing production VMs (that is where you need FlexClone). The replication itself is done by SnapMirror.

5. Correct

6. It increases administration overhead, it makes deduplication less effective and you may hit limit of number of volumes earlier then number of VMs (or, I guess, you hit limit for datastores on ESX first; I believe it is 32 in total).

siungnc79

1] If using SRM, is it a must to put ESX hosts at site A and site B under VC managed? If yes, can I configure ESX host at site B to be at standby mode only? It will be active when all ESX hosts at site A is down.

2] I plan to install VC as a VM at site A. But how SRM function if disaster happens at site A that causes VC down?

3] If using snapmirror, I plan to put ESX hosts at site A under VC managed but ESX host at site B under VMware vSphere Client. Is it possible?

aborzenkov

SRM needs two VCs on both sites.

Public