ONTAP Discussions

Volume move failing with 'undergoing transition' error (EDIT: never mind, all good)

HUX20002000

UPDATE: After some more investigation, I discovered that the volume was no longer needed, so I could just delete it. No need to resolve this problem anymore.

---

Mixed 4-node FAS8060/8200 cluster running CDOT 9.4P5. I'm in the process of moving all volumes from the 8060 pair's disk shelves to those on the 8200 pair, so that I can decommission the 8060. One volume remains, which is running out of a Fibre Channel SVM. But when I do "vol move start..." I get this response:

"Error: command failed: Cannot move volume [volume] in Vserver [SVM]. Reason: Moving a volume undergoing transition is not supported. Use "snapmirror show -type TDP" to get the status of the volume transition operation."

Running that snapmirror command results in:

"There are no entries matching your query."

Googling for that TDP type suggests that this something to do with transitioning from 7-Mode to CDOT, which is a process we went through several years ago on this system.

Does anyone know how to resolve this? That is, how to tell the system that this volume actually isn't "in transition" and can be moved?

3 REPLIES 3

SpindleNinja

What's the type showing for the volume?  

vol show -volume <vol_name> -fields type

HUX20002000

Thanks for the reply, but after some more investigation, I discovered that the volume was no longer needed, so I could just delete it. So, problem resolved. 🙂

SpindleNinja

That also works 🙂  

I've seen that type hang around after 7MTT, it's usually just a matter of setting it to DP. 

Public