ONTAP Discussions

Way of utilising existing Snapmirror job for longer retentions?

RANJBASSI

Hi

I am really hoping someone can advise me on this as after week of setting up SV its not working the way I am expecting. 

The issue I am having is I have created a SV relationship on my destination filer but the source copy is a snapmirror destination volume. I then want to create more retentions from that Snapmirror destination volume e.g. 1 month as the SM job only retains 2 days of backups between the source and destination filer. All of our flexvols are luns presensted to a VMware farm so the data is VMFS files only. 

The reason why I am doing this is I want to utilise the already present snapmirror relationship and so dont want to create another snapvault relationship back to the primary because it means another baseline backup would need to be performed which would take a very long time. As the snapmirror has already done this for me, I want to just create longer retentions from the snapmirror backups but its not working as expected?

I created a new flexvol on the destination filer where all the SV jobs would go to and it has been saving snapshots however any new data change updates from the primary filer to seconday are not getting copied over, I have proved by creating flexclones of the volumes at both source and desintation, on the source I can see the file changes made when I bring up another instance of the live VM and inside the VM I can see the changes, if I do the same on the desintation filer I dont see those changes.

Snapvault is performing a backup on the desintation side from the snapmirror destination volume.

My questions are is this possible? If so how would I set this up? I am not performing any preserve snapshots btw on both filers, also I was under the impression that I would need qtrees only on the destination volume? as my source volumes dont have qtrees is that going to be ok? will the cause issues withe SV? 

Thanks 

15 REPLIES 15
Public