ONTAP Discussions

What could be a cause that system make upgrade from 32 bit to 64 bit in aggregates

KL

Hello

I do have a question

What is the possibility way that this things happened? How could that happened?

Tue May 17 12:50:24 CEST [matrix2:wafl.64bit.upgrade.vol.nospc:notice]:

The 64-bit upgrade failed on volume vol_rsip_CODGiK because the volume does not have enough space.

Please correct me if I am wrong. It works like this that if i try to expand capacity more than 16TB it converts aggregates from 32 to 64 bit version. In this process also capacity of data which are stored also increase cause in 64 bit there are also more metadata for files?

I ask a question because I have a hypothesis in which customer try to expand capacity by adding some disk shelf. All devices detect more capacity than 16TB so it starts an upgrade process of aggregates from 32 to 64 bit version. But due this upgrade metadata also contain a lot of space so it makes full volume (in this case rsip_CODGiK) and can not install more. So wizard cancelled upgrade process from 32 to 64 bit.

I'm looking forward for answer

Regards

K L

1 REPLY 1

aborzenkov

If you break 32 to 64 snapmirror relationship, destination is automatically converted to 64 bit. As far as I know this is the only case when system does it automatically.

Public