ONTAP Discussions

What is Data ONTAP 8?

navneet

We are sure you are wondering what is new in this release. Let's open up the discussion thread and hear what our experts have to say.

8 REPLIES 8

scottgelb

64-bit aggregates are key so new aggrs from 30-100TB depending on the platform.

Also, 8.0.1 adds "vol move" for luns which is really slick so now we can move flexvols with luns between aggregates with no downtime.

There are a lot of performance enhancements on multicore systems too so expect a faster controller for many workload types after the upgrade on a 6080.

ekashpureff

Currently teaching ANCDA8-7 mode in Santa Clara, so we'll answer with the class !

64 bit aggrs/volumes ! - up to 100TB Aggrs on larger filers.,

Secure configuration defaults.

Cluster mode - (GX mode)

vif command is now ifgrp

And much more !

Is it cheating to list the release notes ?

We're having fun reading through them !

http://now.netapp.com/NOW/knowledge/docs/ontap/rel801rc2/html/ontap/rnote/frameset.html

I hope this response has been helpful to you.

At your service,

Eugene Kashpureff
NetAppU Instructor and Independent Consultant
(P.S. I appreciate points for helpful or correct answers.)

scottgelb

Release notes are a great resource.. Eugene - will you be at the Insight conference in Prague?

Typos Sent on Blackberry Wireless

ekashpureff

Scott -

I don't get to go do conferences anymore - I have to go teach class in Texas for the Army next week ...

: )

At your service,

Eugene Kashpureff

ashishg

Data ONTAP 8 is NetApp’s platform for Shared IT Infrastructure. Today’s Data ONTAP 8 (8.0) family combines Data ONTAP 7G and Data ONTAP GX under a single code base along with several enhancements, including new 64-bit aggregates. The current release, Data ONTAP 8.0.1 brings new features like Data Compression, DataMotion for Volumes, Unified Connect that further extend the Efficiency leadership and unmatched flexibility offered by the NetApp portfolio.

minaeng

Also check out the Tech OnTap article on ONTAP 8  http://communities.netapp.com/docs/DOC-8168

johan_gislen

If I'm reading the TR-3873 regarding Data Motion for volumes correctly, it seems as if "vol move" doesn't require any additional licenses apart from FCP/iSCSI. Is this correct or do I need a SnapMirror license to be able to move my volumes?

sshapiro

Johan,

You're understanding of TR-3873 is correct. Whilethe SnapMirror process is used move data between aggregates with NetApp DataMotion for Volumes, a SnapMirror license is not required to use the functionality.  Of course, for DR replication or data distribution of data between systems, a SnapMirror license is still needed.

Public