ONTAP Discussions

What is the "easy" way to build a second controller in an HA pair by "importing" data from the first, completed system?

jasonmhill

My first forum question:

I recall reading somewhere that there is an "easy" way to build a second controller in an HA pair by "importing" data from the first, completed system.  For clarification, this is regarding the filer setup and not related to any exported volumes.

Scenario:

Have a single controller (aka NA1) installed, setup and running for over a year.  Received a second controller recently (aka NA2) which needs to become the HA partner of NA1.  Disks are available and NA2 is ready for the install wizard.

I've built a few FAS systems in the standard way, but prefer to know more than one way to do something.

Can someone point me in the right direction?

* FAS3240 (NA1)

* FAS3240 (NA2)

* 8.0.2 P6 7-Mode

Regards,

Jason

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

jasonmhill

What I was looking for was "config clone".  I agree that HA config check is always best for CF.  Thanks.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

aborzenkov

Two controllers in HA pair are mostly independent systems, so you cannot really import anything. Just build it in standard way, enable CF and use HA config checkers to verify configuration.

jasonmhill

What I was looking for was "config clone".  I agree that HA config check is always best for CF.  Thanks.

CCOLEMAN_

FAS1> config dump Install.cfg  (Backup all configuration information to a backup file in /etc/configs)

FAS1> config diff 25Apr2009.cfg (Compare current system configuration with a backup configuration file to see differences)

FAS1> config restore 25Apr2009.cfg (Restores system settings to those saved in the backup configuration file)

http://winmerge.org/ will also help you out here.

Public