Subscribe

Re: Where is the partner interface options getting pulled from?

Yes, that’s true! thanks guys!

Maico

hey scott,

I know that editing the rc won’t cause interruption. How about editing the interface configuration?

Maico

Changing the partner parameter “ifconfig interface partner” won’t cause a disruption.

Thanks indeed.   I was wondering how to update a partner designation on an interface without bouncing the interface.   We changed our RC file to use partner interface name instead of IP but the ifconfig -a output still showed the partner designated by IP.  I figured this would clear up on the next takeover/giveback but did not realize I could fix it dynamically and was worried it could affect takeover/giveback.   Cool.  

And a takeover/giveback in current ontap using an ip instead of name isn't supported (and I think doesn't work) so good to change dynamically before the next cluster takeover event

Good times!  Don't want to learn that the hard way!

Is there another file other than rc that contains HA and failover info?

For an admin checking ifconfig and setting in rc/hosts for boot is how you setup HA and failover.  There are registry entries but editing is not supported and needs support if you ever get in there... you can walk the registry in advanced mode with "registry walk" though and you will see where some of the ifconfig info is stored but it is dynamic since we set at boot from rc/hosts.

While on this topic, there is another thing worth looking at....There is also negotiated failover that can be enabled by setting "options cf.takeover.on_network_interface_failure on" then you also need to put "nfo" in the ifconfig statement to enable negotiated failover.  This will initiate a failover of the controller if the network drops... I only set this when using ifgrps (so all ports would have to be down on the ifgrp).  By default a controller doesn't failover if it loses networking and is enabled on the controller then set per ifconfig interface.  The default policy is "all_nics" meaning all ifconfig statements with nfo go down (every interface covered by the nfo parameter)... we often set the policy to any_nic by running "options cf.takeover.on_network_interface_failure.policy any_nic" which will initate the failover if all nics in a single ifgrp go down (but not every ifgrp with nfo).

is ifconfig same as exportfs in a sense that it does not stick after reboot? I get confuse sometimes if is it ifconfig or rc that configures the interfaces.

in regards to the nfo, we did not configure that since we a multimode within a single mode (2x10G and 2x1G, with favor on the 2x10G).

I thought 'any nic' means if any or just one ifgrp goes down, while 'all_nic" is if all igrp go down.

All Ifgrp with nfo enabled go down. Or any Ifgrp with nfo go down. It works well for single level Ifgrps in case both ports go down.

Rc runs at startup and runs ifconfig. That keeps it persistent by running rc on boot or giveback.

Sent from my iPhone 4S