ONTAP Discussions

Windows domain not available, need to unjoin via OnTap and place in workgroup mode

kmt333

OnTap admins, I apologize for my ignorance, but I need your help. We have a Windows network. We inherited a very old NetApp device (7.2) that is still in use. We raised the Windows domain functional level and only realized afterwards that the device did not support 2008. Ideally, all we want to do is copy the files that are currently in cifs shares off of the device and over to a new location. In order to gain access to them (since there is no remaining 2003 domain), we need to be able to place the device in workgroup mode. However, whenever I try to do so via the GUI, it errors out (possibly because there is no domain to "unjoin"). I've logged into the device as the root user (both via telnet and ftp), but get access denied errors when trying to access shares. How can I rescue the files? 

As an aside, we were successfully backing up, but doing so via NDMP, which will only restore to the device itself, where we cannot access the files.

Grrr...

Please help!

KMT

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

aborzenkov
Log in using CLI and run "cifs terminate" followed by "cifs setup". Authenticating as root requires plain text support which is normally disabled by default on modern windows clients. You need to create additional local users for CIFS. You probably already have at least one - local admin. Check with useradmin command.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

aborzenkov
Log in using CLI and run "cifs terminate" followed by "cifs setup". Authenticating as root requires plain text support which is normally disabled by default on modern windows clients. You need to create additional local users for CIFS. You probably already have at least one - local admin. Check with useradmin command.

kmt333

thank you, Aborzenkove!

to confirm, terminating cifs and setting it up again will not wipe the file data. it will only change the security type, but the data will be intact?? I just want to verify because I do not want to lose the data. 

kmt

aborzenkov
Reconfiguring CIFS does not affect existing data.

kmt333

Thank you! That did the trick 🙂

KMT

Public