ONTAP Discussions

after repace the disk, could not configure it

netappmagic

I got a failed SATA drive, and usually I can see it by running "disk show -n", then I can run "disk assign all" to add the disk. However, in this case, I don't see any disk. I tried "disk maint statys" and "sysconfig -r" as well, still can not see it.

I can see it by running "sysconfig -a".

Please let me know if there is any thing else I can try. Thanks for helping me out.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

wnorthmtitsd

Try this

disk assign <disk> -o <sysid> -s unowned -f

View solution in original post

18 REPLIES 18

HENRYPAN2

Hi netappmagic ,

Looks like your disk auto assign option is on.

Cheers

Henry

netappmagic

what is the solution for that? It's not being used, because I could not see it from "sysconfig -r"

I don't see the disk in any group, not in any array, nor in "spare" group.

HENRYPAN2

Hi netappmagic ,

The new disk should be a spare.

You may wish to submit a case to NetApp support to find out.

Good luck

Henry

netappmagic

I know, it should be a spare, but unfortunately it is not here in this case.

It is the same size as the others existing SATA on the filer, and the same firmware is being used already.

Any idea?

billshaffer

So you had a drive fail, replaced it, and now you can see it under "sysconfig -a" but not "sysconfig -r" or "disk show -n"?

Where does it show up in "sysconfig -a"?  Just under the host adapter with the rest of the drives?  Do you see the drive in "storage show disk" and "disk show"? 

And (sorry, I have to ask) - you're SURE it's not in the "sysconfig -r" output?  Maybe under partner disks, or broken disks - or even already part of an aggregate?

Bill

netappmagic

> So you had a drive fail, replaced it, and now you can see it under "sysconfig -a" but not "sysconfig -r" or "disk show -n"?

Yes

> Where does it show up in "sysconfig -a"?  Just under the host adapter with the rest of the drives?

Yes, it is under host adapter 0b with the rest of drives

Do you see the drive in "storage show disk" and "disk show"?

I can see the drive in "storage show disk", but not in "disk show".

Looking forward to hear you again. Thanks!

netappmagic

And (sorry, I have to ask) - you're SURE it's not in the "sysconfig -r" output?  Maybe under partner disks, or broken disks - or even already part of an aggregate?

Yes, I am pretty sure that it is not in "sysconfig -r", not in broken disks, or spares. the address of the disk is 0b.26

I used "aggr status -r", not in any aggr neither.

netappmagic

I found something interesting. "storage show disk 0b.26" is working, but the following numbers are different from those from the rest of drives

Current owner: 118059988

Home owner: 118059988

Reservation owner: 0

When I run storage show disk 0b.25" or any other fine disks, I got all same numbers.

Current owner: 101203034

Home owner: 101203034

Reservation owner: 101203034

It seems a ownershp issue...

I tried "disk assign all", not working: disk assign: Could not find any unowned disks to assign. Obviously, because disk show -n got nothing.

wnorthmtitsd

Not long ago, I had a replacement disk that instead of being unowned, showed a state of present and so it was not available to be assigned, nor was it failed.  After a few hours it dropped into unowned state.

billshaffer

Agreed, it looks like your spare is "owned" by another system.  You can do a "disk remove_ownership", though it seems to me that has to be done from the boot maintenance menu..  How long has the new disk been in?  If wnorthmtitsd has seem it drop to unowned after a while, maybe it's worth waiting to see if yours does too?

Bill

netappmagic

> disk remove 0b.26

disk remove: Disk 0b.26 not found

it's been more than 5 hours now, there are no any changes.

the interesting things is, all following numbers on this disk are different than the rest of fine disks, and these fine ones all have the same number, so, it seems we need to find a way to change these numbers to the others.

Current owner: 118059988

Home owner: 118059988

Reservation owner: 0

billshaffer

Those numbers are the system ID of the system that "owns" the drive.  The "fine" drives all show your current system ID - which is why they are fine.

The way to change the numbers on the "bad" drive is to remove ownership, but I think that needs to be done during a reboot - though that may only be if you're trying to remove the current controller as owner, which is what I've done.  Try "disk remove_ownership <disk" - not "disk remove".  You may need to be priv set advanced (or diag), and PLEASE make sure that you specify the right drive name....

Bill

wnorthmtitsd

Yes, billshaffer is correct.

priv set advanced

disk remove_ownership <disk>

That should make it unowned and you can then assign it to the controller.

Make sure you do a   disk zero spares as the disk is probably not zero'd out.

netappmagic

i feel to remove the ownership would be a right direction. however, it won't allow me to, in the advanced mode:

> disk remove_ownership 0b.26

disk remove_ownership: Disk 0b.26 is not owned by this node.

wnorthmtitsd

Try this

billshaffer

I think you may need to reboot and do it from the maintenance boot menu.

Try this:

disk assign 0b.26 -s unowned -f

Bill

gavin_meadows

Instead of trying to unown the disk which it looks like it is struggling to do as it isnt the owner, you could try forcing one of the nodes to take ownership:

disk assign 0b.26 -o newowner -f

** I have done this with spare disks between nodes in a HA pair, but NOT in a scenario like yours with a foreign owner - if in doubt submit a support request**

netappmagic

All done.

did the trick.

Thank you all for your inputs one way or the other.

Public