aggregate need?

saranraj456

Why we need an aggregate seprately?

why cant we use a raid group directly?

Regards,

Saran

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

joostvandrenth

Having evolved from a traditional volume (which can be seen as 1-1 relation between a RaidGroup and a volume) I see an aggregate as the physical to virtual transformation of storage capacity - it is the construct from which you can provision volumes.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

nigelg1965

Put simply because there can be more that one RAID group in an aggregate.

Depends on size and type of disk, but with a large of small disks there could be several RAID groups (a RAID is the data and parity disks)

joostvandrenth

I do not know why you would want to, but maybe traditional volumes are something to look into?

saranraj456

no, i am generally asking the need and use of aggregate.....

joostvandrenth

Having evolved from a traditional volume (which can be seen as 1-1 relation between a RaidGroup and a volume) I see an aggregate as the physical to virtual transformation of storage capacity - it is the construct from which you can provision volumes.

eric_barlier

because it scales better? its more flexible to manage than a set of X disks. There are many reasons. Maybe we can approach this the other way around:

what is bad about using aggregates?

Eric

ashritha

Hello ,

The reason is aggregate holds the raid group, aggregate is nothing but a raid group.

hope this helps!!

Ashritha.

satish_pamarthi

if you start using by raid groups, then you have to create a number of raidgroups as per your space requirement.

In the same way, if you start using aggregate, there is no matter of how many raidgroups it is... still u can handle all the raidgroups in the same aggregate.

bondbhola

Hi Saran,

To use the diskshelf you must bind the disk in aggrigate. you can' create raidgroup witout creating the aggregate.

Thanks,

Bhola Gond

bondbhola

Below link will help you to understand the relaionship for disk-aggregate-volume.

https://communities.netapp.com/people/BrendonHiggins/blog/2013/02/03/disks-aggregates-volumes-qtrees-and-luns

saranraj456

Frndz,

i got an answer already ,its one of my old post.

Public