ONTAP Discussions

cluster serial number unique?

vishwand

Hello experts,

want check whetehr "cluster serial number" unique across all clusters?

Thanks

Vishwanath

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

AlexDawson
Hi Unnikrishnan,

To change the cluster serial number, obtain a proper cluster base license code for the system, either by looking up the sales order number for the first two nodes serial numbers on the support-licenses site, and then looking up licenses by sales order number, or by obtaining one through your NetApp account rep, and add it with "license add". Once added, remove the original cluster base license.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

JGPSHNTAP

The cluster serial number should be unique across the each cluster, and each node  has it's own serial #

robinpeter

If you are talking about cluster UUID, yes its uniq

The fact you can search using it, in autosupport to find your cluster, makes me believe its globally uniq.

::> cluster identity show

Cluster UUID: 1cd8a442-86d1-11e0-ae1c-123478563412
          Cluster Name: cluster1
 Cluster Serial Number: 1-80-123456
      Cluster Location: Sunnyvale
       Cluster Contact: jsmith@example.com

I don't think the "Cluster Serial Number" is Uniq 

AlexDawson

The cluster UUID is universally unique, as per the standard definition of "UUID", and the cluster serial number SHOULD be unique - but it isn't. We only hand them out to a single customer, but it isn't node-locked and can be used in multiple clusters.

The cluster serial is set based on the cluster base license key entered. It sometimes happens with conversions, rushed installs etc, that the cluster base license key is unavailable, and a well known temporary key is used which corresponds to serial 180000099, so you will sometimes see customers with multiple clusters with the serial 180000099. The cluster serial number can be changed if necessary.

Hope this helps!

URADHAKRISHNAN

Alex,

We have develeoped a system and were using "Cluster Serial Number" to identify the cluster. Later we realised that it is not uniqe across clusters. COuld you please share the steps to change the "Cluster Serial Number"?

Regards

Unnikrishnan

AlexDawson
Hi Unnikrishnan,

To change the cluster serial number, obtain a proper cluster base license code for the system, either by looking up the sales order number for the first two nodes serial numbers on the support-licenses site, and then looking up licenses by sales order number, or by obtaining one through your NetApp account rep, and add it with "license add". Once added, remove the original cluster base license.

Greg_Wilson

Was the process to change the number documented?

I have 2 new clusters and the clusters have the same serial number ..

AlexDawson

Hi Greg,

As per my other comment - the process to change it is to add the license code for the other cluster base ID and the serial number of the cluster will change.

Hope this helps!

Public