ONTAP Discussions

copy volume (with active mirror relation ship) to another filer

JETADMIN007

Hi,

I have this situation :

cluster : filer1, filer2 in one site

cluster : filer3, filer4 in another site.

all filers are running ontap 8.0.2.

Wan between sites is 20 MBit.

I have on filer1 : volume1 wich is snapmirrored to filer3:volume1bis every hour of the day, every day. Volumes are luns within qtrees and accessed via ISCSI.

I want to copy filer1:volume1 to filer2:volume2 (=new volume created on filer2) and preserve snapmirror relationship ? (well, yes, i can break the relationship  for filer1:volume1 and make a new one filer2:volume2 to snapmirror to filer3:volume1bis.)

The volumes are 300GB big, so if I copy from one filer to another, I have to make sure that my snapmirror doesn't start to rebaseline everything over my small 20Mbit wan line.

What is the best method here? I was thinking of breaking down the snampirror between filer1 and filer3, and then setting up snapmirror between filer1 and filer2 to copy the volume. And at the end, breaking filer1-filer2 snapmirror and setting up snapmirror between filer2 and filer3 and let's hope that only delta's are sent.

Or do i make a cascade from filer1 to filer2 and from filer2 to filer3 (again, let's hope that the delta's can be sent) and at the end break the snapmirror between filer1 and filer2?

5 REPLIES 5

aborzenkov

Are you using QSM or VSM?

JETADMIN007

volume snap mirror.

aborzenkov

Then

- Setup snapmirror between filer1 and filer2 (do not break other relationship yet); wait until it is synchronized

- Break filer1 => filer3 and filer1 => filer2

- Resync filer2 => filer3

JETADMIN007

Hi, thanks for your reply. Is it possible to set up snapmirror to 2 destinations at the same time?

I thought it was not, but I'm not the expert.

I will try it out with some test volumes.

aborzenkov

Yes, it is possible.

Public