ONTAP Discussions

create LUN on dedup and map to windows; why not windows shown free capacity after dedup?

jaroenntap

I've create LUN with 1TB use on volume which enable deduplicate, and map to Windows 2003 SP2, and test write data to LUN with 900GB and then process dedup, so on the volume shown on dedupe and available but in the Windows's LUN still shown available 100GB and then I've try to write data to LUN with 200GB, I got error capacity not enough.

How can I setup?

THX,

Jr

4 REPLIES 4

bjornkoopmans

Hi JR,

I think you should recheck your documentation there. 🙂 space savings obtained by utilizing dedup doesn't show up inside LUN's. In other words: the client will never see the dedup space savings directly. I is, however, visible in the volume utilization. I don't know how big the volume is you created your 1 TB LUN in, but after running dedup you should see some space gain there. 🙂

Try df -sh to see how much space you gained in your volume by running dedup.

Bjorn

jaroenntap

Hi Bjorn,

thank for fast repond, that you mean we can not implement LUN environment on dedup? because my customer need to implement Backup to disks and map LUN to Backup server, so i've create volume 1TB because limitation of FAS2020 per volume.

thx

jr.

bjornkoopmans

Of course you can implement LUN's in combination with dedup, but (in this case) your backup solution won't see the results of dedup on the LUN. But thanks to dedup, you have more space available on your volumes/aggregates to provision more LUN's. Please check the System Administration Guide for your ONTAP version, available on NOW.

Bjorn

jaroenntap

Thanks Bjorn.

Public