ONTAP Discussions

database views in netapp plugin 12.1.0.2.0 for Oracle Enterprise Manager 12c

rogerchengwang

I have netapp plugin 12.1.0.2.0 for Oracle Enterprise Manager 12c installed, in 7-mode. The home page shows useful real time utilazation stats. however, when I tried to open

Consolidated database and storage performance view  or Database storage utilization view, I received NO DATABSE FOUND error.

This natually makes sense, since no mapping between database and volumes has been established. But exactly how we can create that mapping? I do not find any mentioned of this in the document.

BTW, we use NFS mount and auto map through customized automap file.

Any suggestion will be greatly appreicated.

Roger

10 REPLIES 10

sachin1

Hi Roger,

Please make sure that following things have been configured:

1) Monitoring database has already been registered with Oracle Enterprise Manager (OEM)  and it is visible from there.

2) Storage controller on which database resides has also been registered with OEM.

3) Please make sure that on database host, fstab entry holds the IP address of storage controller for mount point definition. We are using database host fstab entry to generate mapping based upon IP address (only IP address). Also, database should be mounted on NFS volume. (no qtrees/ lun)

4) If you are making any changes to fstab entry now, it takes approx. 24 hours to reflect this value in OEM repository or may need to do some force operation to reflect the change.

5) Please also check if your database volumes are listed by "Volume Details" metric for the registered storage controller.

If above steps are in place, you are not required any manual steps for mapping establishment. 

Please let us know your feedback.

Regards,

Sachin Maheshwari

rogerchengwang

Sachin,

My envrionment does not meet requirement #3. we are a Solaris shop, and use auto mapper, instead of FATAB, for NFS mount. Does your plugin support that? if not, can you suggest any alternative?

Thanks,

Roger

sdstorage

Hi Sachin,

I've same configuration of Roger (12.1.0.2.0 NetApp Oem Plugin, OEM 12c, DataOntap 7-mode storage servers) except for Solaris, we use Linux RedHat 6.x OS for targets DB.

I've a problem when I go to "Database storage utilization" (no rows returned, for all databases) and "Consolidated Database Storage Performance" (Database is not on NFS mounted Storage, for all databases). It seems that no volumes are mapped to the relative db.

I've verified all 5 conditions, but only the third are not true.

For some databases we use hostname rather than IP on fstab configuration file.

For other databases we don't use at all fstab, we use RedHat RHCS scripts to mount NFS volume on active node.

There is a way to do a manual mapping (DB<->Volumes)?

There is a way (alternative to fstab) to do an automatic mapping?

Thank you in advance for reply,

Francesco Dalla Ca'.

sachin1

Hi Francesco,

Thank you for sharing feedback. Currently, we are not supporting controller name in fstab entry for generating db mapping report because a controller can have multiple IP addresses for data and management interfaces. We are taking "controller name" requirement as feedback and will make it available in next release of plug-in.

I request if you can send me the output of following SQL query to understand your database environment for RHCP scripts / FSTAB entries for mounting NFS volumes.

This Database must be residing on NetApp Storage:

You must have permissions to login to EM12c repository SQL prompt and execute below SQL. 

SELECT V2.TARGET_NAME "DatabaseName", V1.FILESYSTEM "FileSystem", V2.FILE_NAME "FileName"

FROM MGMT$STORAGE_REPORT_NFS V1, MGMT$DB_DATAFILES V2

WHERE V1.MOUNTPOINT = V2.OS_STORAGE_ENTITY and V2.TARGET_NAME ='<DB_NAME>'   -- Specify database name here

Please send at least three rows of each database. If you want to keep your database configurations private, please drop an email to me: sachin1@netapp.com

We appreciate your feedback to improve this plug-in.

Thanks,

Sachin Maheshwari

sachin1

Hi Francesco / Roger,

Just to keep you posted, We have noted this requirement and work is already in progress.

In next patch release, we will provide the solution where you should be able to provide FQDN Name/ Short Name / IP address for mounting NFS exported storage paths for your database.

Patch release is planned around Jan-Feb 2014 time frame.

Regards,

Sachin Maheshwari

sachin1

Hi Francesco / Roger,

Just for update, patch version has already been released that fixes FQDN problem. Please refer IAG documentation on NetApp community site for more details.

Regards,

Sachin Maheshwari

sridharchevendra

Hi Sachin,

we are planning to take advantage of OEM for DB monitoring. Presently, we are using vfilers instead of filers. Last time, when we performed testsing, vfilers are not supported. Is there any change in the approach to support vfilers? or is there any work around?

Regards

Sridhar.

sachin1

Hi Sridhar,

Thank you for contacting us.

We are still not supporting vfilers In this release, we have developed features to support plug-in for Clustered Data ONTAP.

Regards,

Sachin Maheshwari

sridharchevendra

Sachin,

Thanks for a quick repsonse. Most of our systems use 7-mode and would be long way before converting c-mode as there is no direct migration path.

My DBA team is very keen on getting this working as it provides end to end visibility thus improves the troubleshooting response times.

As i was asing earlier, are there any alternative options or work arounds?

Regards

Sridhar.

sachin1

Hi Sridhar,

Vfiler support requires changes at the code level, hence, there is no easy workaround for this. We regret for the inconvenience caused.

We appreciate your feedback that these database performance views are useful for improving troubleshooting response time which was our main goal to introduce these performance views.

We have significant list of features to support for this plug-in in next release.

I recommend you to please forward this feature request (vfiler support) to my product manager Anand Ranganathan (Anand.Ranganathan@netapp.com)

Regards,

Sachin Maheshwari

Public