ONTAP Discussions

dstroyed lun with vm in it

TDUBB1234

is it possible to restore a lun with a vm in it. I dont have a backup. could it be stored in a snapshot or something? any chance?

12 REPLIES 12

sharmas

Only if you had snapshot copies configured for the Volume which contained the LUN and those have not been deleted. Which tool did you use to delete the LUN?

TDUBB1234

it as via command line.

vol offline

vol destroy

sharmas

Unfortunately there is no way to recover from that except an external backup. I assume you don;t have aggregate snapshot copies and even if you do, you don't want to restore the complete aggregate.

scottgelb

Good point that there can be an aggr snapshot that could get the data back.  In a similar case we had an aggr snap at a customer and were lucky to have enough disk to create a new aggr... then ran "aggr copy -s" to copy the snapshot version of the aggregate to the new aggregate... then after were able to snapmirror the volume back from the temporary aggregate used for restore.  If only "snap restore -A" had a "-t file" option... a flexvol in an aggr is like a file in a flexvol so would be really nice to have but no option...but aggr copy can be useful to recover if there is an aggr snap.

Run "snap list -A aggrname" and see if any aggr snaps...if there is a snapshot before the volume delete, I would turn off the aggr snap scheduler and increase the aggr snap reserve just to preserve it long enough to copy so it doesn't autodelete.

CCOLEMAN_

Scott might be saving another life here, I rarely see anyone turn off aggr snapshots, so there is a good chance you have one.

martin_fisher

There may be aggr snap that you could use as previously stated, however I would urgently check the snap list of the aggr and quickly turn off or change the aggr snap schedule, as these generally are deleted after 1-2 days max.

Amend the schedule if possible, so the snap is not auto deleted. HTH. Good Luck.

CCOLEMAN_

Another excellent point...hope he reads this in time.

TDUBB1234

snap reserve -A shows

0%

so I dont have anything?

martin_fisher

What does the snap list for the affected aggr show, if you are able to post the info.

TDUBB1234

it says no snapshot exists

scottgelb

Not likely. If scheduled they would autodelete with no reserve

Sent from my iPhone 5

martin_fisher

The snaps, if they existed, are gone. You wont be able to restore the LUN from the aggr.

Public