ONTAP Discussions

how to setup snapmirror between two sites using spare shelf?

rbauman79

i have to setup several snapmirror relationships between two sites both with a fas3020

site 1

has about 9TB of data/snapshots currently that needs to be setup for replication.

site 2

has about 5.5TB of data/snapshots

i have 4 total (2 in each site) spare MK14II 1TB drive shelfs. 

Is there a way to do a snapmirror initialize to one of the shelfs, then ship it to the other site, attach the shelf and complete the snapmirror initialize? i have tried doing it over the wire (Site one has a 50mb pipe, site 2 has a 20mb pipe) but i kept having issues with it stopping and saying idle with restart checkpoint. Second issue is it is taking too long to complete the initial transfer.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

aborzenkov

Yes, it is possible. You would need to shutdown source filer to remove shelves anyway, so there is no need to offline anything - halt filer, unplug shelves. On destination filer you can attach shevles online;l new aggregate will be detected as foreign and you will need to online it. After that just resync from source to re-create SnapMirror.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

rbauman79

i found this thread but just wanted to confirm this is the supported method.

http://community.netapp.com/t5/Data-ONTAP-Discussions/Volume-SnapMirror-Seeding-Using-Spare-Disk-Shelf/td-p/65887

aborzenkov
7-Mode or C-Mode?

rbauman79
7-mode
Each site only has one controller in it. Fas-3020

aborzenkov

Yes, it is possible. You would need to shutdown source filer to remove shelves anyway, so there is no need to offline anything - halt filer, unplug shelves. On destination filer you can attach shevles online;l new aggregate will be detected as foreign and you will need to online it. After that just resync from source to re-create SnapMirror.

rbauman79

awesome thanks for the clarification.

Public