ONTAP Discussions

max number of loops in a fabric metrocluster?

davidjb

Not sure if this is the right community, but I'm trying to track down the answer to how many loops can a single FAS3040 controller have in a fabric metrocluster.  I know the max number of shelves per loop is two but can't seem to find how many loops a single FC HBA can support on the 3040.  I thought I saw something that said 18 but wasn't sure if that was correct or not.

Anyone know the answer to this one?  If I add a second 2 port FC HBA to the 3040, I should then be able to increase my loops providing there are ports available on the switch, correct?

2 REPLIES 2

lanson

Hi David,

There are a couple of items that will effect the maximum number of disks in a Fabric MetroCluster (thus the maximum number of loops).

1. There is the over all disk spindle maximum which effective with Data ONTAP 7.3.2 is now 672. This could be viewed as 48 shelves or 24 loops (12 loops per MetroCluster node). Prior to Data ONTAP 7.3.2 the maximum was 504.
  2. There has to be enough ports on the switches to connect that many loops. All of the FC switches currently offered with Fabric MetroCluster will support the maximum. Some of the older switches do not have enough ports since as you  correctly mentioned there is a maximum of two shelves allowed per loop/port.

Hope this helps

Jim  Lanson

eric_barlier

Hi,

You ll find this info for your problem and any other controller/ontap version here:

http://now.netapp.com/NOW/knowledge/docs/hardware/NetApp/syscfg/

Cheers,

Eric

Public