ONTAP Discussions

move root volume move to new aggregate

RATNATHURAI

we have fas2024 running in  HA. pair

I want to move the root volume to new aggregate . I was told that I have to issue >cf disable before I copy the root volume, this way the mailbox info will be copied.

I was reading  a kb and it says cf takeove/give back.

Which is correct.

7 REPLIES 7

martin_fisher

Hi - Which version of ONTAP are you running? Dependant on the version depends on the method you could use to move the root vol.

If you are using 8.1.x  you should be able to use the vol move command. This should perform the cutover as well. If you are using a differenct version you would need to perform the move simialr to other threads on the communities for example: https://communities.netapp.com/thread/23874 or following the KB..

RATNATHURAI

We have 8.0.2 7-mode.

I was told to use ndmpcopy /vol/vol0 /vol/vol0_new

vol rename vol0 vol0_org

vol rename vol0_new vol0

vol options vol_new root

reboot

martin_fisher

as it 8.02 then you cant vol move. Reboot after the copy, or perform a cluster failover and then giveback.

billshaffer

I have moved vol0 many times, on versions from early 6 to 8.1, and never done a cf disable - just vol copy (or ndmp copy or rsync or...), vol options new_vol root, reboot.

Bill

RATNATHURAI

can I keep the same name fo vol0, that is.

ndmpcopy /vol/vol0 /vol/new_vol

vol rename vol0 vol0_org

rename the new_vol to vol0

then vol options vol0 root

reboot

billshaffer

Absolutely.  ONTAP doesn't care about the volume name.  One caveat I've found to moving the root vol - any shares you have for the current vol0 will have to be manually added to the new vol0.  I've been caught out by not having the new vol0 shared root= to my admin host, and having to rewrite /etc/exports with wrfile (unpleasant).

Bill

aborzenkov

Yes, you can. Or you can rename it after reboot.

Public