ONTAP Discussions

qtree basics - move from flexvol to qtree? SnapVault?

CAJXCAJXCAJX

I am new to qtrees and am struggling to find a safe place to test things. So my questions:

1. If I have a flexvolume named Vol1 that is 80% full, but now need to use qtrees in order to use a newly purchased snapVault, can I create a qtree in Vol1 and then move things into it? In other words, how do I apply the qtree to the items that already exist in Vol1?

2. If I want to use the whole flexvol, Vol1, as a qtree, can I just reference qtree 0 as far as snapVault is concerned?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

scottgelb

If near full and you have snaps you may need to delete snaps to make room.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

aborzenkov

1. You can move data into qtree from host; mount volume and use standard host commands to move files around.

2. Use the syntax /vol/vol-name/- to reference whole volume as SnapVault source. SnapVault destination must be qtee.

scottgelb

/- should skip any qtrees that are in the source volume though and they can replicate separately if any.  From the CLI a full volume can be specified to vault into a target qtree (all volume contents one level deeper in the qtree) and it puts all data in the target qtree with a /vol/volname source but protection manager doesn't support it and all data goes a level deeper (and existing qtrees become subdirectories) so we never recommended it.  It was an NCDA question that we had some debate about with the exam writing I remember a few years ago...since it was cli only supported.

aborzenkov

Thanks for clarification. For some reasons I thought SM and SV behave differently with regard to /vol/volname/- syntax.

CAJXCAJXCAJX

I don't follow here.

Are we saying that it is unsafe/not recommended to use qtree 0 when vaulting? I was going to try to use protection manager, tho licensing hasn't cleared yet.

scottgelb

/- for non qtree data is safe. The key thing is that the target path is one level deeper than on the source. And you have to manage non qtree separate from other qtrees.

CAJXCAJXCAJX

So for #1, if vol1 exists and is nearly full, I can create a qtree in it and move it from

vol1

to

vol1/qtree1

from the host with no problem?

scottgelb

If near full and you have snaps you may need to delete snaps to make room.

Public