ONTAP Discussions

rsh and vfilers. Snapvault and Snapmirror commands missing

davidrnexon

Hi everyone,

I'm currently following this article in setting up snapvault for exchange https://kb.netapp.com/support/index?page=content&id=1010129

I need to rsh to my vfiler which is the snapvault secondary and issue the snapvault update command, however when I rsh to the vfiler I don't have any options to type in snapvault commands or I couldn't see snapmirror commands either ? The user that i'm connecting as is full admin.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

scottgelb

It could be the ontap version.. I suspect that.. 8.0 I believe had 7.2 feature parity for multistore and 8.0.1 added 7.3 feature parity (except for data motion).

Typos Sent on Blackberry Wireless

View solution in original post

31 REPLIES 31

davidrnexon

Ok well snapvault is definately there with rsh but looks like you can only run a few commands with it. I need to run snapvault update, but it is not recognized in 8.0.1P5

Scott are you able to see if snapvault update is availabe on one of your 8.0.2 systems via rsh please ?

scottgelb

It doesn’t show in SSH…blah.. I thought it was there. ONTAP 8.0 had 7.2 vfiler parity and 8.0.x has 7.3.2 vfiler parity. Complete ssh/rsh vfiler commands were added in 7.3.3 along with data motion. I can confirm this is in 8.1 but that is not released yet (soon as a Release Candidate). The only workaround I can think of is ssh to vfiler0 with vfiler run commands to run for the vfiler or move the relationship to vfiler0 instead of the vfiler itself.

davidrnexon

thanks for verifying that Scott, I have been using a script I made up to rsh to the primary host vfiler0 and perform vfiler run vfiler-name snapvault update ..... but the issue with this is that the vfiler belongs to a customer and our host vfiler0 belongs to us, so we don't want to give the customer access to vfiler0 at all. I've been running the script from our side with my credentials.

So will 8.0.2P3 have an interactive SSH shell for vfilers ? I'm wondering if I may be able to use non-interactive SSH instead of RSH ?

scottgelb

There is no interactive shell to vFilers. ONTAP 8.1 does (will) have an interactive shell though so that is coming soon.

RAFAEL_GUEDES

Hi Scott!

Now DOT 8.1 was released, could you confirm that it is possible to log in directly into any vfiler (not only vfiler0) via SSH or RSH? And, do you know if there are any drawbacks in put DOT 8.1 on FAS2040?

Thanks a lot!

scottgelb

Yes..you can now SSH interactive to a vFiler with 8.1.  The only drawback is that it is RC code and I wouldn't recommend that for anything in production yet...but next year when GA I would look at the upgrade to get full vFiler functionality with data motion (full feature parity to what was in 7.3.3+ and more).

RAFAEL_GUEDES

Thanks for reply Scott. And if we use the vFilers only to CIFS shares purpose, could it be managed by MMC console like a regular Windows file server, right?

Since we should consider the deployment with DOT 8.0.2 and it doesn't support SMB 2.0, is there any mistake running the system into a 2008 R2 domain?

Thanks for help!

scottgelb

Mmc works well. And ok with 2k8r2

Sent from my iPhone 4S

davidrnexon

Hi Scott, just thought i'd check in and see if you are now running OnTap 8.1 and if so, do you know if the command snapvault update exists within it's interactive shell or rsh ?

scottgelb

Yes… here is an 8.1 example in the interactive shell. From my 8.1RC1 VSIM.

vfiler1@fas6280> snapvault

The following commands are available; for more information

type "snapvault help "

abort modify restore status

destinations prerevert snap stop

help release start update

davidrnexon

awesome, thanks for verifying Scott

Public