ONTAP Discussions

same tape drive shared between filer in a cluster

martin2176

I understand tape can not be multipathed.

Question1: Can a tape drive be shared between filer heads in a cluster ?

for eg1: FilerA:0d -----[tapedrive]------0d:FilerB

FilerA<--> Filer B are partners.

The reason for doing this : when a failover happens the tape drives remain accessible on the partner node

Question2: The tape drive is IBM LTO5. Each drive has a PortA and PortB.

is the below configuration valid:

for eg2: FilerA:0d-----portA[tapedrive]portB ------0d:FilerB

The only difference between scenario eg1 and eg2 is that, in eg1 the tape is shared between filer heads using same tape portA. In eg2 sharing is by means of portA and port B of the tape drive.

5 REPLIES 5

kevingolding

Interesting question, I have shared on 7-Mode, using a switch to share a single tape drive. and seeing that CDOT NDMP works just like 7-Mode i would expect it to work.  however, it would be down to the backup software you are using, and, if both ports on the tape drive itself will failover..

martin2176

not worried about the backup software at this time. The above question is purely from a Netapp perspective.

ignore the backup software and imagine that I am using native dump command to backup.

My ONTAP is 7 mode (Not cluster mode).

aborzenkov

NetApp itself does not really care at all. So without considering backup software the answer it - yes, you can do it.

martin2176

do you folks recommend "single initiator single tape drive target zone" or "single intitiator multiple tape drive target" zone ?

martin2176

Netapp support officially said the same set of drives can be shared between filer heads in a cluster (7 mode).

so its bonafide

Public