ONTAP Discussions

snapdrive - demistify procedure steps for Managing LUNs not created in SnapDrive

NENAD_CANIC

Hi

Can someone explain to me steps for procedure Managing LUNs not created in SnapDrive as it states on pages 129 / 130 in SnapDrive Installation and Administration guide (6.4)

I have 2008 R2 SP1 failover cluster which is new and almost have nothing on it. NetApp FAS3040. Quorum disk was not created using SnapDrive (volume and lun are created using System Manager).

Should I go trough procedure to create quorum disk using snapdrive ?

=> Step 1.b. For each resource in this cluster group, record all dependencies by using the Windows cluster management console. Right-click the resource and select Properties > Dependencies.

What resource ? VM, disks, all... ? If I click and look for VM dependencies I see only VM configuration for example...

=> Step 1.c. Designate the newly created disk as the quorum on the owning node of your Windows cluster using the Windows cluster management console.

=> Step.3. Using System Manager, FilerView, or the storage system console, complete the following steps: Step 3.a. Unmap the LUN from the initiator group.

Unmap what lun ? Lun which was previous quorum disk ? All luns ?

I have on the other site other one FAS3020 and I want to attach snapmirrored volume (and lun not created with snapdrive) from FAS3020 to FAS3040.

What do you recommend ?

Thank you, best regards

Nenad

1 REPLY 1

ogra

LUN's should ideally be created using SnapDrive ( SDW) - Best Practice.

Even if you have an older, it is recommended to connect the LUN using SDW. ( Only connect, don't re-create them).

For Quorum disks, manually created & mapped disk should be okay. ( As long as you are able to take care of mapping the resource to the right cluster group).

SDW helps you to reduce manual errors. ( by completing the configuration).

If you are trying to connect the SnapMirrored Data ( LUNs) it's recommended to connect the LUN's to the server ( Cluster) via SnapDrive.

I hope it helps !

Cheers!

Public