ONTAP Discussions

snapvault and Lrep

lebedevanton

Hello, I want be able to use LREP_reader and LREP_writer to transfer data between two offices.

In the primary office, I have a vol/qtree that I backed up to a USB extrnal drive. I used this command to back it up based on reading documentation;

lrep_reader.exe -f IDCNJSAN01 -q /vol/chicago_retail -o F:\sv_init@0 ILCHIFSV03:D:\

(secondary filer is IDCNJSAN01) it backed up the volume and qtree, I can see the files named sv_init at 2 gig chunks on my USB drive.

Now I have transfered the USB drive to my secondary location (IDCNJSAN01).

I am trying to use lrep_writer to move the data over to this filer.

I execute this command on a workstation with lrep_writer;

lrep_writer.exe -p snapvault_start -O D:\sv_init

lrep_writer: Will read 258 files from prefix d:\sv_init
Error in socket (inet6) : 10047
Waiting for connection (inet)
Use snapvault start command on secondary to create a relationship

now I go to the secondary filer and try to create the relationship by:

snapvault start -S laptop:D:\sv_init /vol/chicago_retail/chicago_retail
Transfer aborted: source specified does not match configuration file.

what am I missing to be able to get the data off the USB HDD into the secondary filer ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

aborzenkov

According to lrep documentation this would be

lrep_reader.exe -O -p snapvault_start -f IDCNJSAN01 –q /vol/chicago_retail/chicago_retail -o F:\sv_init@0 ILCHISAN01:/vol/chicago_retail/chicago_retail

Assuming IDCNJSAN01 being secondary and ILCHISAN01 being primary.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

BrendonHiggins

Is this your 1st snapvault?  My guess is the destination is not allowing the data to be received.  Recommend you open a console session on the destination filer so you can see the 'full' error message.

What is your options snapvault.access set to on the destination?  Any firewalls between the host and the destination?

Bren

lebedevanton

thank you for responding.

this is indeed my first snapvault.

snapvalut.access all is set so im not limiting who can get to it.

but I am trying to move data from my USB drive to the secondary system with lrep, however I dont have a relationship between primary and secondary yet.

But if I establish that relationship wont it start to synch my data across the wire( thats not what I want to do in my case, hence trying to use lrep to seed the data to my secondary).

I feel like i am missing a step somewhere just not sure where.

BrendonHiggins

Try creating a test flexvol on the remote system with a couple on Mb of data in and snapvault that over the WAN to test everything works.  Once snapvault is working the way you want, try again with the LREP.  At the minute we are not sure what is wrong, so remove variables and build up from a know good configuration.

Hope it helps

Bren

Did the consol on either the source or destination filers have any extra error messages?  These are sometimes not in the error log, so always worth having console session open when troubleshooting issues.

michael_hiemstra

Here is an example of the LREP process I use

LREP Setup

Use LREP to transfer to USB drive. Make sure if you have the OSSV configurator installed on the server you are running the LREP from that the service is stopped. ON the Primary that has the OSSV configurator service running make sure to uncheck the QSM Access list.

Run on machine with the USB drive: (May need to copy the lrep_reader app inot the Windows\system32 so it is in the path) Change server names\Controller name\qtree name as needed

lrep_reader -p snapvault_start –f USDC02SN01-E -q /vol/VOL_NA_RS_03/Dataset-NA-RS-CDT-03_USCHESFP02_D_Data_Departments -o F:\USCHESFP02\Departments\USCHESFP02_D_Data_Departments_Backup@0 USCHESFP02:D:\Data\Departments

Note: /vol = the default vol it is not recommended to use directly create additional Volumes. In this exanple I create the VOL_NA_RS_03. Good practice is to set a naming conventin for your volumes\datasets\qtrees that match up so it is easier to follow when you have to troubleshoot them later.

Do on System at secondary filer site that you will attach the USB drive to: Again if OSSV Configurator is install on this machine stop the service

lrep_writer.exe I:\USCHESFP02\Departments\USCHESFP02_D_Data_Departments_Backup

Telnet connection to SAN (Secondary): I add the Folder path matching my server on the USB drives as I do many of these at a time.

snapvault start -S USDC02AP09:H:\USCHESFP02\USCHESFP02_D_Data_Departments_Backup USDC02SN01-E:/vol/VOL_NA_RS_03/Dataset-NA-RS-CDT-03_USCHESFP02_D_Data_Departments

On SAN to check status with details: The -l gives you a more verbos status

snapvault status -l /vol/VOL_NA_RS_03/Dataset-NA-RS-CDT-03_USCHESFP02_D_Data_Departments

Once upload is complete to Secondary SAN then you have to modify the Primary path. Do this on the Secondary SAN:

snapvault modify -S USCHESFP02:D:\Data\Departments USDC02SN01-E:/vol/VOL_NA_RS_03/Dataset-NA-RS-CDT-03_USCHESFP02_D_Data_Departments

Once modify completes test connection between primary and secondary by running initial update:

snapvault update /vol/VOL_NA_RS_03/Dataset-NA-RS-CDT-03_USCHESFP02_D_Data_Departments

Hope this helps someone out. Took me a lot of blood sweat and tears to get this to work consistently.

lebedevanton

Hey Michael, thanks for the great write up, but I am still stuck at something,

Here is an example of the LREP process I use

LREP Setup

Use LREP to transfer to USB drive. Make sure if you have the OSSV configurator installed on the server you are running the LREP from that the service is stopped. ON the Primary that has the OSSV configurator service running make sure to uncheck the QSM Access list.

Run on machine with the USB drive: (May need to copy the lrep_reader app inot the Windows\system32 so it is in the path) Change server names\Controller name\qtree name as needed

lrep_reader -p snapvault_start –f USDC02SN01-E -q /vol/VOL_NA_RS_03/Dataset-NA-RS-CDT-03_USCHESFP02_D_Data_Departments -o F:\USCHESFP02\Departments\USCHESFP02_D_Data_Departments_Backup@0 USCHESFP02:D:\Data\Departments

Note: /vol = the default vol it is not recommended to use directly create additional Volumes. In this exanple I create the VOL_NA_RS_03. Good practice is to set a naming conventin for your volumes\datasets\qtrees that match up so it is easier to follow when you have to troubleshoot them later.

Do on System at secondary filer site that you will attach the USB drive to: Again if OSSV Configurator is install on this machine stop the service

lrep_writer.exe I:\USCHESFP02\Departments\USCHESFP02_D_Data_Departments_Backup

Telnet connection to SAN (Secondary): I add the Folder path matching my server on the USB drives as I do many of these at a time.

snapvault start -S USDC02AP09:H:\USCHESFP02\USCHESFP02_D_Data_Departments_Backup USDC02SN01-E:/vol/VOL_NA_RS_03/Dataset-NA-RS-CDT-03_USCHESFP02_D_Data_Departments

Ok this part is a little confusing for me.... and this is where I am stuck now. I already have lrep data from the lrep_reader

At my secondary location I have a laptop(HQLTPSNIFFER01), OSSV is not installed, I only have lrep_writer and reader on it.

lrep_writer.exe D:\sv_init  produces this result;

lrep_writer: Will read 258 files from prefix D:\sv_init
Error in socket (inet6) : 10047
Waiting for connection (inet)
Use snapvault start command on secondary to create a relationship

Now I ssh to my secondary filer and I put in this command;

IDCNJSAN01*> snapvault start -S HQLTPSNIFFER01:D:\sv_init IDCNJSAN01:/vol/chicago_retail/chicago_retail
Transfer aborted: source specified does not match configuration file.

What am I doing wrong at this step ?

lebedevanton

Ok hang on I just made some progress, however its not any better.

I had a snapmirror.conf setting between my laptop and the secondary filer, I removed it.

after removing that entry from snapmirror.conf i reran the same command, and I get this;

IDCNJSAN01*> snapvault start -S HQLTPSNIFFER01:D:\sv_init IDCNJSAN01:/vol/chicago_retail/chicago_retail
Wed Mar 30 13:46:54 EDT [replication.dst.err:error]: SnapVault: destination transfer from HQLTPSNIFFER01:D:\sv_init to /vol/chicago_retail/chicago_etail : snapvault is not licensed to backup Windows systems.
Transfer aborted: snapvault is not licensed to backup Windows systems.

the latop is windows, but the data I backed up to the USB drive is Netapp's, its not windows in my understanding so why does it ask me for a license to backup windows systems?

on my primary the license is listed as;

sv_applications_pri not licensed
       sv_exchange_pri not licensed
          sv_linux_pri not licensed
      sv_marketing_pri not licensed
          sv_ontap_pri UMOWHXX  --(this is what i neeed to get Lrep going from my primary filer)
          sv_ontap_sec not licensed
         sv_oracle_pri not licensed
     sv_sharepoint_pri not licensed
            sv_sql_pri not licensed
           sv_unix_pri not licensed
             sv_vi_pri not licensed
         sv_vmware_pri not licensed
    sv_windows_ofm_pri not licensed
        sv_windows_pri not licensed
      syncmirror_local AOXGUXX
              v-series not licensed
                   vld not licensed

On secondary filer;

sv_applications_pri not licensed
       sv_exchange_pri not licensed
          sv_linux_pri not licensed
      sv_marketing_pri not licensed
          sv_ontap_pri not licensed
          sv_ontap_sec BEALPXX - secondary license to do lrep writer
         sv_oracle_pri not licensed
     sv_sharepoint_pri not licensed
            sv_sql_pri not licensed
           sv_unix_pri not licensed
             sv_vi_pri not licensed
         sv_vmware_pri not licensed
    sv_windows_ofm_pri not licensed
        sv_windows_pri not licensed
      syncmirror_local not licensed

lebedevanton

Not sure what to make of this error and how it relates to LREP but ;

Thu Apr  7 12:46:13 EDT [replication.dst.err:error]: SnapVault: destination transfer from HQLTPSNIFFER01:D:\sv_init to /vol/chicago_retail/chicago_retail : snapvault is not licensed to backup Windows systems.
Transfer aborted: snapvault is not licensed to backup Windows systems.

it keeps asking for a windows license, so i got netapp to cut me a temp windows license and wouldnt you know it.....

A sv_windows_pri 30 day site license has been installed.

IDCNJSAN01*> Thu Apr  7 12:47:33 EDT [rc:notice]: sv_windows_pri licensed

snapvault start -S HQLTPSNIFFER01:D:\sv_init IDCNJSAN01:/vol/chicago_retail/chicago_retail

Transfer started.

Monitor progress with 'snapvault status' or the snapmirror log.

The netapp tech was puzzled as much as I am puzzled as to why the lrep_writer and the filer were not getting along without a sv_windows_pri license file.
Isnt lrep a snapvault tool and has noting to do with windows transfers? Im also puzzled as to why it was asking for a windows license if i am transfering a qtree from filer to filer with a windows machine as a proxy (perhaps thats it) but that is NOT documented anywhere.
this case has been going on for like 2 3 weeks btw.

aborzenkov

lrep_reader.exe -f IDCNJSAN01 -q /vol/chicago_retail -o F:\sv_init@0 ILCHIFSV03:D:\

snapvault start -S laptop:D:\sv_init /vol/chicago_retail/chicago_retail

This command backs up content of directory D:\ on Windows host ILCHIFSV03. Is it what you intend to do? From your description I understood that your primary is filer, not Windows host. Is it correct?

In any case, you have to specify qtree in lrep_reader command, not just a volume path; -q refers to secondary qtree which will be destination for SV, not to primary path that is being backed up. It has to match qtree that you will give in snapvault start later.

lebedevanton

thank you for the follow up aborzenkov,

lrep_reader.exe -f IDCNJSAN01 -q /vol/chicago_retail -o F:\sv_init@0 ILCHIFSV03:D:\ ( I didnt not intend to backup the D:\ of that host) I instead wanted to backup a Qtree from /vol/chicago_retail.

so my command will be: lrep_reader -f IDCNJSAN01 -q /vol/chicago_retail/chicago_retail -o F:\sv_init@0 (do I have to specificy the primary path on the primary filer? like ILCHISAN01:/vol/chicago_retail/chicago_retail )

This will copy the QTREE from /vol/chicago_retail/ to my usb drive which then I can transfer to secondary location  using lrep_wrtier snapvault start ?

aborzenkov

According to lrep documentation this would be

lrep_reader.exe -O -p snapvault_start -f IDCNJSAN01 –q /vol/chicago_retail/chicago_retail -o F:\sv_init@0 ILCHISAN01:/vol/chicago_retail/chicago_retail

Assuming IDCNJSAN01 being secondary and ILCHISAN01 being primary.

lebedevanton

I will try this and then post my results, thank you for the assistance

Public