ONTAP Discussions

unable to discover external relationships

mauro

Some relationships are discovered and others none.

I'd like to know how to see them.

These are the discovered relationships: (with NETAPP5 as Source) ( i've filtered the output...)

localhost>dfpm relationship list

Id Relationship Type    Dataset Id Dataset Name         Source                                   Destination                              Deleted Delete

--- -------------------- ---------- -------------------- ---------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------- ------- ------

575 volume_snapmirror             0                      netapp5:/FN_Dati                         netapp2:/SM_FN_Dati                      No

581 volume_snapmirror             0                      netapp5:/FN_e_vault                      netapp2:/SM_FN_e_vault                   No

605 snapvault                     0                      netapp5:/FN_Backuptemp2/FN_bcktemp2      netapp-dr:/vol_W_FN_backuptemp2/FN_bcktemp2 No

This is an example of relations undiscovered:

netapp5> snapvault status

Snapvault is ON.

Source                                   Destination                                      State          Lag        Status

netapp5:/vol/FN_Backuptemp2/FN_bcktemp2  netapp-dr:/vol/vol_W_FN_backuptemp2/FN_bcktemp2  Source         18:35:06   Idle

netapp5:/vol/FN_Dati                     netapp6:/vol/bck_FN_Dati/FN_Dati                 Source         00:49:00   Idle

netapp5:/vol/FN_e_vault                  netapp6:/vol/bck_FN_e_vault/FN_e_vault           Source         13:33:08   Idle

netapp5> snapmirror status

Snapmirror is on.

netapp5:FN_Dati  netapp2:SM_FN_Dati  Source 00:20:49 Idle

netapp5:FN_e_vault netapp2:SM_FN_e_vault  Source 13:33:41  Idle

I've tried several "dfm host discovery" without results.

Many thanks,

Mauro.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

kryan

These SV relationships are not in the proper format for DFM/OC to manage or discover them:

netapp5:/vol/FN_Dati                     netapp6:/vol/bck_FN_Dati/FN_Dati                 Source         00:49:00   Idle

netapp5:/vol/FN_e_vault                  netapp6:/vol/bck_FN_e_vault/FN_e_vault           Source         13:33:08   Idle

If you look in the svmon.log you will most likely see errors regarding the two relationships.

They need to look like this to allow DFM/OC to discover and manage them:

netapp5:/vol/FN_Dati/-                     netapp6:/vol/bck_FN_Dati/FN_Dati                 Source         00:49:00   Idle

netapp5:/vol/FN_e_vault/-                  netapp6:/vol/bck_FN_e_vault/FN_e_vault           Source         13:33:08   Idle

Note that the source volumes have a trailing "/-". ONTAP allows these relationships and default to "/-" behavior but DFM/OC will require the proper format.  In order to get that added tot he source volumes you will need to run a "snapvault modify ..." CLI on the controller and then perform a "snapvault update ..." to make the change take effect.  Then after you run a "dfm host discover ..." they should appear.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

amirm

Mauro,

If you are using NMC can you see these undiscovered relationships under the "External Relationship" tab?

For DFPM to recongnize these relationships they should be made part of the dataset. Otherwise they are treated as "External Relationship" and you will have to import them to a dataset or create a new dataset from them using NMC UI.

Thanks,

-Amir

mauro

I have not yet created datasets, all relations are "external"..

i don't see these 2 external relations:

kryan

These SV relationships are not in the proper format for DFM/OC to manage or discover them:

If you look in the svmon.log you will most likely see errors regarding the two relationships.

They need to look like this to allow DFM/OC to discover and manage them:

netapp5:/vol/FN_Dati/-                     netapp6:/vol/bck_FN_Dati/FN_Dati                 Source         00:49:00   Idle

netapp5:/vol/FN_e_vault/-                  netapp6:/vol/bck_FN_e_vault/FN_e_vault           Source         13:33:08   Idle

Note that the source volumes have a trailing "/-". ONTAP allows these relationships and default to "/-" behavior but DFM/OC will require the proper format.  In order to get that added tot he source volumes you will need to run a "snapvault modify ..." CLI on the controller and then perform a "snapvault update ..." to make the change take effect.  Then after you run a "dfm host discover ..." they should appear.

mauro

exactly!

Apr 05 17:15:09 [DFMMonitor:DEBUG]: [2228:0x1f2c]: netapp5.forumnet.it(319): Invalid primary path /vol/FN_Dati.

Apr 05 17:15:09 [DFMMonitor:DEBUG]: [2228:0x1f2c]: netapp5.forumnet.it(319): Invalid primary path /vol/FN_e_vault.

smoot

You have to use "dfm host discover" on both the source and destination storage systems. I'll assume you already tried that.

Try "dfm host diag" for both the source and destination. You want to see the NDMP communication status of both be OK.

Since you've already discovered relationships between netapp5 and netapp2, yet there's at least one undiscovered relationship, I don't think it's an access or authorization sort of issue. We try to make sure both systems are reporting the relationship before it's considered "discovered". Try running "snapvault status" on netapp2 and make sure it's reporting all the relationships too. I haven't used the snapvault CLI in a while so I don't know which options you need.

mauro

dfk host discovery on both machines and dfm host diag --> OK

kryan

If you are sure the SV relationships should be present (that is others from the same filer are present, you have ensured connectivity from the DFM/OC server to the filer is working, etc.), then you can use the "dfbm primary dir add ... ..." CLI to "import" the existing SV relationship into the DFM db.  At that point it will show up in the external relationships and can be imported, barring any conditions that would prevent importing.

Note when you run this command it will say it is creating the relationship, but as long as the syntax is correct and the relationship indeed exists this will not happen.  The job detail on the "Backup" tab of the UI will show it was imported. 

Public