ONTAP Discussions

vfiler dr configure - An error occurred while trying to commit the registry (Registry operation error).

fletch2007

Having successfully migrated the vfilers to the new 3270, I now want to re-establish the dr vfiler relationships in the reverse direction

I am running into this error on this pair of heads (irt-na02 & irt-na04) - the other pair accepts the vfiler dr configure fine

irt-na02> vfiler dr configure vdi-vf-01@irt-na04

irt-na04's Administrative login: root

irt-na04's Administrative password:

irt-na04: An error occurred while trying to commit the registry (Registry operation error).

irt-na02> vfiler status

vfiler0                          running

irt-na02> version

NetApp Release 7.3.3: Thu Mar 11 22:29:52 PST 2010

there are no errors reported on irt-na04 console

thanks for any tips/info,

http://vmadmin.info

4 REPLIES 4

sinhaa

hello fletch,

I don't know the exact reason why the registry operation on this particular filer is failing. Perhaps rebooting this filer will solve it, though I'm not absolutely certain. I agree rebooting is not something always feasible. So try a reboot if you can.

This problem is being looked into.

Thanks for your patience.

warm regards,

Abhishek

If this post resolved your issue, help others by selecting ACCEPT AS SOLUTION or adding a KUDO.

fletch2007

Rebooted (actually upgraded the destination cluster to 7.3.5.1P2 and rebooted) but the error persists:

irt-na02> vfiler dr configure pw-vf-01@irt-na04
irt-na04's Administrative login: root
irt-na04's Administrative password:
irt-na04: An error occurred while trying to commit the registry (Registry operation error).

I've opened a case on this

thanks

fletch2007

By watching the /etc/log/auditlog on the snapmirror source I was able to determine the root cause was a snapmirror.access config issue

This log entry clued me in to check the snapmirror options.

options snapmirror.checkip.enable

The other (working) heads were set to legacy for snapmirror.access

I resolved this with "options snapmirror.access legacy"

thanks

dan_keating

I've encountered this issue - the cause transpired to be that when setting up vFiler DR on the destination system, its host name was being automatically appended to the options snapmirror.access list on the source host filer. Setting up vFiler DR multiple times (during a testing phase) filled snapmirror.access to maximum capacity with duplicate entries. Finally, attempting to run vFiler Dr configure again ended in this apparently supurious error: "An error occurred while trying to commit the registry (Registry operation error)." as the source filer failed to append the host name again due to lack of space.

The cure was to delete the duplicate hostname entries on the source snapmirror.access list. That's probably why using the legacy settings appeared to cure the problem as it used /etc/snapmirror.allow (whatever it's called) instead.

Public