ONTAP Discussions

volume maxdirsize

SCOTT_V_RONTALE

Hi Everyone , 

I'm a little bit confused the filer is prompting that maxdirsize is approaching its maxdirsize limit for volume image but when i check some commands it does not approaching. What is the proper way to check if the maxdirsize is approaching its limit.

Does it have an impact when increasing it or Does the performance affects when hitting the limit. 

NetApp> maxfiles
      Volume image: maximum number of files is currently 31876689 (1156105 used)

NetApp> df -i
Filesystem           iused       ifree    %iused   Mounted on
     /vol/image/ 1156105 30720584   4%     /vol/image/

image online raid_dp, flex nosnap=off, nosnapdir=off, minra=off,
sis no_atime_update=off, nvfail=off,
64-bit ignore_inconsistent=off, snapmirrored=off,
create_ucode=on, convert_ucode=on,
maxdirsize=45875, schedsnapname=ordinal,
fs_size_fixed=off, guarantee=none,
svo_enable=off, svo_checksum=off,
svo_allow_rman=off, svo_reject_errors=off,
no_i2p=off, fractional_reserve=0, extent=off,
try_first=volume_grow, read_realloc=off,
snapshot_clone_dependency=off,
dlog_hole_reserve=off, nbu_archival_snap=off

Thanks,

Scott

4 REPLIES 4

deepuj

Hi,

Hope this KB will help you https://kb.netapp.com/support/index?page=content&id=3011562

let me know if you have any more questions

thanks

If this post resolved your issue, help others by selecting ACCEPT AS SOLUTION or adding a KUDO.

JGPSHNTAP

Don't get inodes for a total volume and maxdirsize confused.  Inodes is important on the dirsize... the article linked above is a good article..

But we've increased maxdirsize on some volumes without issue.  It also depends on type of system and memory as to what your default maxdirsize is.  Also, if you snapmirrored a volume from a smaller to a larger unit, (i.e. 2240 - 8040) it will inherit the lower limit of the 2240.  

SCOTT_V_RONTALE

Hi . What's the indication or is there a figure to show if maxdirsize is approaching its limit? thanks.

SCOTT_V_RONTALE

Hi . What's the indication or is there a figure to show if maxdirsize is approaching its limit? Not just a prompt message?
thanks. 

Public