ONTAP Hardware

8.2.3 7-mode on FAS8040 - Largest 3.5" disks used on DS4486 or DS4246

kmagitz1234

I know the DS460C shelves require Ontap 9.1 cdot, but my FAS8040 filer is at 8.2.3 7 mode so I am looking at the DS4486 as I would want to put 48 x 10TB drives in it. I alread checked the HWU and it says the biggest disk I can use is 6T, with  However, I suspect that 8T or 10T drives will still work in them under 8.2.3 7 mode. 

My filer is not under support anymore, so the "supported" aspect doesnt bother me, I just want to know if the system will recognize the larger 8T or 10T drives.

Has anyone run larger drives in systems like these with success?

3 REPLIES 3

Ontapforrum

Hi,

Yes, that's correct. Max 6TB with 8.2.3 7-mode.

10TB capacity in DS4486/DS4246 is not supported with 8.2.3 7-mode, but with 9.x it is supported.

However, if you are happy with 8TB then just upgrade your 7-mode to 8.2.5 and you can work with 8TB disks.

If you do go ahead with 10TB in DS4486 enclosure with 8.2.3 7-mode: I have never tried it  but I am guessing the system will recognize the disks but will be 'down-sized' to the max-supported disk size supported by that particular OS version type. Hence, you will lose out on capacity. Instead upgrade to 8.2.5 and use 8TB disks.

Thanks!

aborzenkov

@Ontapforrum wrote:

10TB capacity in DS4486/DS4246 is not supported with 8.2.3 7-mode, but with 9.x it is supported.

Only in RAID-TEC.

@Ontapforrum wrote:

I have never tried it  but I am guessing the system will recognize the disks but will be 'down-sized' to the max-supported disk size supported by that particular OS version type.

To correctly recognize disk you need corresponding DQP, my understanding always was that "disk supported starting with Data ONTAP X.Y.Z" simply means "Data ONTAP X.Y.Z includes DQP with this disk". But good question is what happens when you try to create RAID-DP with 10TB disks. Will it be refused flat out or it is "unsupported" in the sense "we do not recommend it".

paul_stejskal

Won't work. You could convert your HA pair to CDOT too.

Public