FAS and V-Series Storage Systems Discussions

Highlighted

Re: Backup by NDMP on FAS2020

Yes, of  course, you are right. The only problem is that you can back data up ten by NDMP only.

In that case you cannot use library directly. I red a lot of about it.

Highlighted

No my best thread posting.  On the plus side I have learnt about XenServer storage.

Have a good weekend.

Brendon

Hi Bren!

I managed to enable tape drive to the controller even backup /vol0 on the controller the tape drive is attached to.

I have one more question before I purchase NDMP option for BackupExec.

My fas2020 owes two two-port controllers (they work in a cluster mode) and the tape drive is zonned to one of them only.

I try to backup /vol0 on the partner's rsh and enter command like "dump 0f 192.168.0.50:rst0a /vol/vol0" where IP address is the controller address the tape is attached to.

Then I got a message "access denied" during dump process.

The rsh connection screeen on the 192.168.0.50 controller I got a mesage "[192.168.0.50: rshd.access.denied:warning]: Permission denied for an rsh request from root at host 192.168.0.52...".

What's worng with permissions?

Another thing...

I set two NDMP hosts at BackupExec. One of them (first controller) owes library and I see it in the tree view. Second not!

Should I understand that I will be able to back up data of the disks where controller is attached to? Is so, perhaps I have to create another zonning for second controller to enable tape drive to it.

Thanks in advance.

Highlighted

dump to remote tape is using rmt protocol that is based on rsh authentication. So you need to add source filer to /etc/hosts.equiv on destination.

But that is not how NDMP will work. In case of NDMP you can either backup to locally attached device (tape) or initiate remote backup to another NDMP enabled host. No rsh and/or rmt is used in this case.

I do not really understand the second question, but I assume you need to add second controller as BE client. Or add (another) tape drive to second controller. Do not zone the same tape to both controllers unless BE supports drive sharing. Usually it is separately licensed option.

Highlighted

Yes, you are right, thank you for clarifying.

The reason of my question was that NetApp hand written commands doesn't support three-way-backup but RMT protocol of which you spoke.

So, three-way-backup type will be used by BackupExec for backuping data up from the NDMP enabled host that doesn't owe tape drive (in my case second controller in FAS2020) to another NDMP enabled host with locally attached (zoned, by fc switch) tape drive.

Am I right?

Highlighted

Hi again!

One more thing...the backup data from controller that has no tape drive directly attached goes very slow....by ethernet....I think too slow as for my ethernet and there's question below...

Is is possible to zone the same tape drive to two controllers in order to use dump command on them? Will they work with one tape drive (of course, no in the same while)?

Highlighted

Yes, it is physically possible. You need to consult your backup software whether it supports it. It is easy to get corrupted backups this way.

Highlighted

yes, that's correct.

Highlighted

Thank you very much once again.

I will come back to the topic after I deply NDMP option for backup software.

Check out the KB!
Knowledge Base
All Community Forums