FAS and V-Series Storage Systems Discussions

CPU overhead from monitoring

dryan0211

Hello,

Would all CPU load created by monitoring processes be reflected in the load produced in the hostos domain?

1 REPLY 1

colsen

Hello,

Just for a little light reading material - I bookmarked the following a few months back to help me keep track of the various domains:

https://kb.netapp.com/support/s/article/ka21A0000000fzcQAA/faq-cpu-utilization-in-data-ontap-scheduling-and-monitoring?language=en_US

That said, I vaguely recall us working a case a long time ago (7mode - 8.0.x) where we had an nSanity gather going against an Exchange host and our filers.  Anyway, with 8.0, Kahuna would manifest itself on a single core which would skew our ANY statistic.  What I remember is that during the nSanity gather (and during a subsequent perfstat gather) we'd see that Kahuna-owned core spike in relation to whatever performance gather we had going on.  I don't know how that behavior translates into ONTAP, but it makes me suspect that monitoring gets reflected more in the Kahuna/wafl_ex domains vs. the HostOS.

We have a relatively quiet 8.3 cluster that we're in the process of decommissioning.  If I have time I'll fire up a perfstat against it and see what domain is getting the business.

Regards,

Chris

Announcements
NetApp on Discord Image

We're on Discord, are you?

Live Chat, Watch Parties, and More!

Explore Banner

Meet Explore, NetApp’s digital sales platform

Engage digitally throughout the sales process, from product discovery to configuration, and handle all your post-purchase needs.

NetApp Insights to Action
I2A Banner
Public