ONTAP Hardware

Can V3200 onboard ports be used to connect external storage?

haijiangsha

Hi,

We're preparing solution to our customer. We plan to use V3200 in the solution. But I have a question about onboard FC ports on V3200. Can it be used to connected to external storage?

I checked Netapp website about FAS3200 (I think no difference between FAS3200 & V3200 about their onboard FC ports). Unfortunately, it doesn't mention if the fc ports can be used to access external storage.

And on 'FAS/V3200 Technical FAQ' which be published on Oct.2010. On page 8:
An X2054A adapter is required for V3270/V3240 array attach; onboard FC ports are not supported.

on page 11:

CAN THE ONBOARD FC PORTS BE USED IN TARGET OR INITIATOR MODE?

Yes, as with other onboard FC ports, the ones on FAS/V3200 can also be set to target or initiator mode.

I'm a little confused. Which one is correct?

And one more question, I think the 2 onboard ports belong to the same ASIC, can one port is being set to initiator and the other port is being set to target?

Thanks in advance!

Sha

1 REPLY 1

aborzenkov

Both are correct ☺

While you can change onboard adapter mode, it does not necessarily mean that all modes are supported in all cases. (No, I do not know the reason why NetApp mandates external adapter). Notice that e.g. for V3210 onboard adapters are supported.

You can set one port to initiator and another to target although this is not recommended.

Public