ONTAP Hardware

Can i move a disk from a Raid Group to another raid group

NAYABRASOOL

Hi Experts,

I have not observed as we have 3 RG's of RG0 = 16 Disks , RG1 = 16 Disks , RG2 = 8 Disks , as today only i have seen this i wondered how come this happened as i was thinking like Ontap will not create a New RG until the older one reached maximum , Now can anybody tell me if i can move all 8 Disks from RG2 to RG1.

Thanks,

Nayab

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

peter_lehmann

Because the RG size is set to 16 (which is the default for SAS,FC) and thats why you have the 16, 16, 8 situation right now.

In order to get to even RGs, you need to control where new disks go when adding them to the aggregate. If you do not influence this, WAFL will add them to the latest RG.

You can change the RG size anytime, this is nondisruptive. It is only in effect when adding disks to the aggregate. Keep in mind, that a RG size of 28 might not be be the best choice for what you want to achieve. The bigger the RaidGroup, the higher the risk if a triple disk failure within the same RG.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

JIULING_SHENHUA

Hi,

I think no good way.

NAYABRASOOL

Hi Jiuling,

You mean to say i cannot move them right ??

Thanks,

Nayab

LTDCLSERGAO

Hello,

You can not remove disk from DG to another unless you destroy the agregat.

What Data OnTap do you use ? which hardware ? what is the size of the disk ? how many spare disk de you have ?

NAYABRASOOL

Ontap Version :- 7.3.5

H/W :- FAS2040

Disk size :- 300GB

Spare Disk :- 2

NAYABRASOOL

Hi,

I have seen the RAID GROUP size set to 16 Disks in my filer , What if i change the RG to 28 Disks now will it disturb the production as my new RG 2 has 8 Disks if i change the RG size to 28 Now and if i add new disks will it be going to the RG 2 ??? Please advise

Thanks,

Nayab

peter_lehmann

Because the RG size is set to 16 (which is the default for SAS,FC) and thats why you have the 16, 16, 8 situation right now.

In order to get to even RGs, you need to control where new disks go when adding them to the aggregate. If you do not influence this, WAFL will add them to the latest RG.

You can change the RG size anytime, this is nondisruptive. It is only in effect when adding disks to the aggregate. Keep in mind, that a RG size of 28 might not be be the best choice for what you want to achieve. The bigger the RaidGroup, the higher the risk if a triple disk failure within the same RG.

JIULING_SHENHUA

Hi,

You can set the RG to 28 disks, us the command "aggr options aggr_name raidsize 28", and dose not disturb the RG.

If not sure it is right, pls execute the command " aggr add aggr_name -n -g rg2 disk-list"

BR.

Jiuling Xu

Public